Friday, March 1, 2013

Day 2: Ft. Smith, AR to Kansas City, MO


We (or I) had decided that on this journey, since we weren't in a rush and weren't driving for massive amounts of time each day that we'd wake up when everyone (Theo) woke up...none of this hit the road at 6 or 7am business.  This worked out well, because we were all pretty much hitting the sack by 8:30-9:00pm each night, so we were out the door by 9 or 10am each day.   

 
(Theo bopping to some Gaga)

This was one of Theo's best days!  He was such a trooper.  He took an hour and a half nap..perhaps my Bossypants audio cd put him to sleep-sorry Tina Fey-I was entertained!  I also discovered that Theo can reach the door lock, but fortunately not the handle.  He really liked pushing it in the locked position; fortunately he now seems like he wants it locked but would rather I lock it.  Goodness help us when he can reach the door handle...

Day 2 was especially exciting because we were meeting up with our dear friends Phil and Nicole.  They were stationed with us in Texas, and at Barksdale, but Phil was assigned to Minot after the initial B52 training, so they did their time in Minot while we were at Barksdale. Phil recently was chosen to fly the B2 which flys out of Whiteman AFB, about an hour and a half East of Kansas City.  They were sooo sweet to drive over and meet us for the night.  I got to see them over the summer 2011 while Phil was at Barksdale for some training, but it had been awhile since Mason got to see them, and we got to meet their sweet son, Lucas!  It was nice to visit in our hotel room for a couple of hours, and then we would see them for breakfast the next morning since they also stayed the night at the same hotel.  


Mason, Theo, Lucas, Phil



We were a bit fooled because there was supposed to be a great Chicago pizza place just a few blocks from our hotel, which I had seen on the drive there.  I knew it wouldn't be as good as Chicago deep dish, but it was worth a shot.  After much deliberating about going, we pull up to find up they were closed.  We could tell if they were closed for good or just for remodeling...but the Pizza Hut we ended up with just wasn't the same. 

No comments: