Sunday, March 3, 2013

BK2 at 17 weeks

When we first found out I was pregnant, one of my concerns was that I needed to find a doctor in Minot right away.  I thought it if was anything like getting into see some of the doctors in Shreveport I'd have to wait months.  It's tricky though, because we wouldn't be able to switch insurance regions until we were actually moved.  You need a referral to be seen off base and when you make an appointment you're supposed to give that referral number to the receptionist.  The other "problem" I foresaw was that I couldn't just ask friends for OB/GYN references because we weren't telling until January.  I sort of tricked a few friends and got them to tell me who they used, and it turns out I wasn't able to see either of those doctors.  I pretty much picked a young looking female and tried to get an appointment with her, but she couldn't see me until the end of April and I didn't want to go that long without an appointment, but her husband was able to see me the end of February!  Yay!

I scheduled my appointment with Dr. B. and the receptionist was nice enough to let me make the appointment without my referral number but I had to bring that to the appointment.   Fast forward through a BUNCH of drama on base once we arrived trying to get that referral processed...it happened at 3:30pm the day before my 8:30am appointment!

Anyways...I LOVE the new doctor so far.  He's super nice, cute, and was willing to talk to us all we wanted about different things.   We got an in office ultrasound, which was nice.  BK2 is growing very nicely.  The baby wouldn't give us a good profile shot, but we were able to see a good facial view.  We go in a few weeks for our 20 week ultrasound so that will be fun!  We aren't finding out the gender, but it's still fun to see all the other growing parts up close and personal.

I can feel kicks, and Mason could too one night as we were going to bed.  That's the best part!  Most of my food aversions have subsided, but this baby definitely likes sweets :)  The tummy is expanding, and I may have to bust out the belly band soon with some of my pants...too cold for skirts up here!
 

Such an exciting time for all of us!  We're so happy to be expanding our family, although slightly terrified at the same time.  :)

No comments: