What a packed day full of checking out this beautiful
land! This morning we said farewell to
our beautiful lake cabin at Signal Mountain and were headed North to
Yellowstone. Mason and I both needed to
check on some things so we went in to the hotel lobby to use their wifi. The boys were pretty excited because there
were a few kids toys in the computer area.
Theo keeps asking when we pull up to hotels, “does this one have
toys?” I think he’s missing his trains
and things from home. They played nicely
for a little while and then we headed on our way. There wasn’t much we wanted to see in the
Northern part of the Tetons, but we pulled over a few places to catch some
really nice views of the lakes and the mountains.
The drive to Yellowstone is about an hour. It was still a little on the early side so we
wanted to do some exploring before checking into our next lodging. We stopped at the Geyser Basin and woah! These little geysers spouting out steam and
bubbling were pretty. They had rich blue
and green colors. This Basin was also
right along the edge of Yellowstone Lake, so it was a pretty view. There were some people fishing in the lake,
and Mason and I were questioning if the fish were really that good to
eat…afterall these toxic geysers are feeding right in to the lake…It was a half
mile walk along a boardwalk and Theo had fun checking out the views, tagging
along next to Mason, and seeing several ladybugs along the pathway. Woodrow enjoyed the view from a stroller, but
we chatted along the way. I need to read
a Magic School Bus book on Geysers though, because I have a lot of questions. (Mason said I should just read the map
descriptions).
In Yellowstone we also HUGE RAVENS all over…like scary
big. I couldn’t help thinking of Edgar
Allen Poe’s, “The Raven” every time I saw one.
At this point we were able to check in to our hotel. We stayed at the Lake Lodge Cabins in the
Lake Village area of the park. I was
envisioning another lakeside cabin, but thie cabin was tucked away. It was nice because it was meant to be a
handicap accessible room so it was pretty roomy. The only hard part was that there was no
refrigerator, which is tricky with the milk for the kiddos, and making our own
lunches etc…so pretty much in the park we had breakfast, a meal around 3 or 4
and then dinner around 8pm. There was a
little bit of an opening near our room, so if we wanted to we could have set
out of lawn chairs and let the kids play, but most days were pretty jam
packed.
After a quick freshen up, we headed North to the mud
volcano-more steam coming up from the ground-Geysers. It was sooooo smelly. You could definitely tell when you were near
Geysers in the park because that sulfur smell is rotten! Theo even said it was stinky. We hiked around there for a while checking
out mud volcanoes and here is where we saw our first Buffalo just sitting next
to one of the volcanoes. After this we
headed up further North and there were dozens of Buffalo along the road and in
the Hayden Valley area. There were signs
all over about how dangerous the buffalo are and to be careful when driving the
road, but it was fun for us to see them, and there were lots of baby buffalo,
which Theo really liked.
Since we clearly hadn’t done enough at this point in the
day, we decided to check out the Upper Falls South Rim Drive of the “Grand
Canyon of Yellowstone”. We were in this
spot right around the time the sun was setting and it was truly beautiful. I sent Theo and Maosn ahead so they could
start taking pictures, while I gave Woodrow a diaper change and cleaned up the
car a few minutes. We headed up there
and it was beautiful! This is where you
truly see why the park is called Yellowstone.
The way the sunlight hit the rocks and the water was stunning! We took a few photos together, and Mason
continues to take pictures while I walked around with the boys and then I
talked with an elderly couple that was celebrating their 57th
wedding anniversary. Theo was pretty
funny because he found some pin needles and he said, “look mom, I found a nail
cutter,” So he sat and pretended to cut his nails and hair. What a goober.


No comments:
Post a Comment