Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Family Driving Vacation- Day 12: Portland, OR to Mountain Home AFB, ID







This morning Theo was the late sleeper.  Probably because he was in his own room where outside noises weren’t going to bother him.  I pulled myself out of be just before 9 and decided to take Woodrow down to the lobby to check out breakfast.  We had a nice breakfast for two, and I wish I had grabbed my phone because he was just the cutest eating his cantaloupe and waffle pieces.  When we came back upstairs Theo and Mason were enjoying their manly breakfast of leftover pizza, and Thai food (probably). 
We plopped in the car, had snacks, drinks, new books and activities for the long drive all pulled out ready to go.  Theo was excited to see “new” books in his blue basket for today’s long drive.  The drive from Portland to Idaho is really pretty, especially the first few hours when the road is pretty much just following the Columbia River.  We saw some amazing views from the car, and I don’t think my photos did it justice.  We saw bighorn sheep along the highway which was pretty cool.  Their horns are pretty big.  We also learned that in Oregon it’s illegal to pump your own gas and that an attendant is supposed to do it for you-although Mason thinks he saw people pumping their own gas at some bigger stations we passed.  We also passed through the 45th parallel which marks the halfway point between the Equator and the North Pole.  I thought this was pretty cool, Mason was not impressed because he pointed out we’d been along the 45th parallel before…I pointed out there was never a sign before, which made this experience cooler.  The highway was also along the original Oregon Trail route-Mason wouldn’t let us stop at any museums, and we passed by Umatilla Chemical Depot which used to be an Army Base that stored chemical weapons. 

Idaho had its flat points and its hilly points.  Of course Mason mentioned picking out dinner after passing Boise where all the good stuff was, but I think this was all in a plot to once again have Thai food…because of course there was a Thai food truck right near Mountain Home Air Force Base where we were staying.  He got his Thai, and OMG the portion was HUGE!  Dinner and breakfast for Mason. 


The Mountain Home AFB lodging we stayed in was so big!  I can’t tell you what a relief it is to be traveling all day and then walk in to a hotel room that is just right and what we needed.  This room had a full kitchen, washer/dryer, living room, and two separate bedrooms.  Ah!  Perfect.  We threw in some laundry, washed the kiddos, plopped them in to bed, and enjoyed some quiet adult time over dinner and tv.

No comments: