Monday, August 20, 2007

Never a Dull Moment in our House


As we were all heading to bed on Friday night (Mason, Keith and I), Mason and I noticed that we heard a running water sound. This is sometimes common because our toilets run for awhile after being flushed...however, this was not the case at 12:30am. Our water heater, had sprung a leak and was flooding our water heater closet. After sopping up much of the water with towels, Mason began using a bowl to catch the water and put it into a bucket, thus began the bucket brigade. We called our 24 hour maintenance, and the gentleman was out around the corner helping someone who had a lockout so he came over within the hour to make sure we had turned the water off properly. Meanwhile, we found a better water "faucet" to empty water out of the heater into the bucket. This sped up our process. By the time Ray, the maintenance man came, we had emptied most of the 40 gallon tank. He finished it off by leading a hose from the tank, outside. We were unable to do much after that, except mop up the hallway floors and remaining water. A nice 2am bedtime before the GRE...


Continuing with the water heater saga, another maintenance man came over late Saturday afternoon and replaced our water heater, but was unable to sodter (sp?) the pipes together. Did I mention that the water heater had filled up again...even though we had turned it off! So, we still had no hot water. Sunday a plumber came and after most of the day without any water we were back in business. All is good so far. Fingers Crossed.


Meanwhile, in the middle of all this, Keith left on Saturday morning for Austin, TX; and I took my GRE. I passed the verbal and math sections; ironically my math scores were significantly higher that the verbal, so I might eventually take the verbal over. I should find out about my written in a few weeks. So, that's done with.


Saturday evening was pretty exciting. We had rain storms most of the day left over from the Hurricane in southern Texas. While Mason and I were enjoying a classy Mac & Cheese dinner around 7:30pm the tornado siren went off, and Command Post came over the base intercom warning that a tornado was within 5 miles of base, and that all personnel should take cover. Of course everyone was outside trying to catch a glimpse of the storm. Once Mason and I realized that the tornado wasn't going to hit base we headed out to storm chase. We chased the storm about 40 miles Northeast of us, and got caught in a great deal of rain, and saw some great lightening and clouds. There were so many frogs out on the road too, that was exciting, but sad because I think we ended up smushing several. Pictures are included below.


Sunday wasn't too exciting. We spent it mostly with the maintenance man. We have been trying to get scardy-cat Rembrandt to get used to us, so we put him into our bathtub (no water). He was scared at first, mostly because he couldn't jump out of the tub. He was eating from our hands and letting us hold him somewhat. More of that tonight. (We're glad to hear that Gus, Jill's Hamster survived the flooding at my parent's house.)


Mason was checked out this morning by the dentist, and had his stitches removed. He's still a little sore and swollen. He managed to eat Papa John's last night, and Chicken Parmesan tonight. I must also mention that after working all day and coming home exhausted, Mason had made dinner. What a great husband!


Check out our tornado photos:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

See, isn't chasing a tornado a fabulous way to pass the time? It's the state past-time (behind college basketball) in Kansas anyway.