The Air Force caught up with me and now I'm flying a desk 0730-1630 M-F!
Another casual Lt and I got called up to help out across the base. The other guy got protocol, which is fine by me since I really don't get into that. He was gone for the two days that we had a two-star visit the base though, so I went with that group in his place. It was pretty interesting since I got to see whatever they were showing off to the general. It was a little sad watching some of the colonels or higher-ups grobble at the general's feet at some of the meetings. He seemed like a solid leader though; gave some good words at the commander's call. And it was neat sitting in on conferences where everyone was field grade officers or generals. But two days of that was enough.
Now I'm working with a group that plans emergency practice scenarios for the base and evaluates how well people respond. Unfortunately, the job normally requires a lot of training and expertise. But since I'm only here until October, when I start UPT, I can only get so deep into this. There's a few other people in different offices who know what they're doing so I just do my best to support them. I am lucky enough to have an actual office with desks, chairs, and a computer. So that's cool (at least as cool as it can get for a casual Lt).
So in the mean time, lots of studying for pilot training. I got all my books, regs, and checklists, so I've been trying to read through the important ones. I'm again, very very glad that I majored in aviation so I can at least somewhat understand what these checklists and manuals are talking about, before I even get to the actual plane.
For any Air Force people reading this, Sheppard got the new Airman Battle Uniform. So that's been gradually popping up all over base. Apparently everyone rushed the uniform store so much that they've had shipments coming in daily and still can't keep up. I'm probably going to hold off on buying a set since with the boots, it comes out to a little over $200. And in a couple months, I won't need it much anymore because I'll be in a flight suit. From what I've heard and seen, the ABU isn't too much different. Heavier material, but breathes better because it's not starched. It seems silly too that you're only allowed to wear the specific slate blue socks and sand t-shirt. Seems to me like black would work just fine. FYI, the new green boots are authorized with the flight suit.
Tuesday, August 28, 2007
Keyboard jockey
Posted by
Ellen
at
9:26:00 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment