Today was the first time I've ever landed a plane with the threat of not being able to have a second chance at the same runway. We had a section of rain about 2 miles wide, 1 mile or so off the departure end of the runway. All the IFS planes had been called back in due to the rain moving towards the airport. I was the last plane in, and our first landing was botched because I was too high and there just wasn't anyway for me to get down fast enough. The second time around, we could see the rain moving in, I got too anxious and was high again, but managed to do a forward slip all the way down until it was time to flare and touch the wheels down. We pulled off and taxied in. By the time we got out of the plane, it was raining on us. Pretty fun stuff, I like that sort of challenge. Not to mention how amazing it is to watch a patch of rain from the same height as the cloud, maneuver around it on your way in, and then come right down head on with the rain as you land the plane. Tomorrow I'm scheduled for 2 flights back to back.
Quote of the day:
"We're training for war. Everyday that's what we're doing."
Enough said.
Monday, July 23, 2007
Puttin it down when it counts
Posted by
Ellen
at
8:11:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
See, I knew all those hours playing computer billiards were gonna pay off someday!
Post a Comment