Wednesday, September 4, 2013

E-I-E-I-O Puppets

Don't know why it will only post this direction
When Theo got into his Sesame Street phase, my mom dug out some old Sesame Street puppets and books that she had saved from my childhood.  Theo loves to FaceTime with "the guys," and my parents put on quite the show for him.  When we got to stay at my parent's house this summer, Theo really liked playing with the felt puppets she had (Bert and Oscar).  I thought once we got home, that surely I could figure out how to make a felt Oscar puppet, and maybe even more of the Sesame Street gang.  I'm really not to arts and crafty, although I'd like to think in some other life I will be, but after thinking more and more about the project, and scrubbing pinterest for tips on making felt puppets (with no sewing machine), I decided that I was going to make him some animal puppets since he has some Sesame Street figurines, and he is also into animals and the farm. 

I found a good tutorial on pinterest, that you can see here, and I set-off to Hobby Lobby! Theo and I got all the felt I needed, and a few different colors of thread.  I cut out the patterns for the easiest animal, the chicken, first, and it took me a day or two to complete.  It's all hand-sewn, and I messed up a little bit on turning the pieces inside out and sewing them....so it doesn't look quite right, but Theo doesn't judge.  A little while after that, I made the pig for Theo.  (Like, a week before my delivery date- late nesting much?)  So needless to say, Theo enjoyed the two puppets, but I haven't gotten back around to finishing up the rest of the farm crew; maybe by the time Woodrow is ready for puppets. 


No comments: