Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Marbo Cave Cliff


The first exploration that we did when we got here in Guam was to Marbo Cave.  It's a short, easy trail, about 5 minutes from the car to the cave.  It's a short, but steep climb down to the freshwater where we all swam for a bit.  On our first adventure, we swam for a little while and headed back without walking further along the trail to the cliff overlooking the ocean.

This past weekend I decided it was a venture I could take solo with the kids since Mason is traveling for work.  I had forgotten how the "two-lane" road to get there is a little crazy.  It's basically one lane with lots of jungle on either side and several blind turns.  As we were driving down the road two cars almost ran into me as they were turning a corner.  Unfortunately, it was very disconcerting that when we got to the small parking area, there was evidence that three cars had their windows smashed in and there were two other piles of glass on the road, where it was likely that two other cars were vandalized too. I was really unsure at this point if I should just turn home or risk it.  One car was untouched, and I had a feeling the two cars I saw leaving were likely the culprits.  Another car, of obvious military people showed up after about 5 minutes and they were going to be waiting for a friend, so I decided I'd quickly hike with the kids and maybe they'd still be in the area when I got back.  I took the valuables and left the doors unlocked thinking maybe they wouldn't smash my windows if they returned.

Anyways, as I'm gathering the troops I look down at Theo (like 30 seconds after he's out of the car) and I see a HUGE spider on his shorts...AHHH!  I sort of screamed, he did the dance, and it flew off, but I was beginning to think this was a doomed adventure.  I grabbed the camera, put Max in the carrier and we quickly started off.

We passed the cave after 5 minutes and just peeked in slightly, and carried on about 10 more minutes to the cliff side.  It was pretty windy, so I made the kids stay back from the edge, but managed to take some cute pictures.  No one fell into the ocean, was stung by a bee, or eaten by a monitor lizard...all in all a successful adventure.   


No comments: