Saturday, September 22, 2007

Keepin' Busy in the Real World



I am now signed up with 3 different school districts, who have been calling and trying to keep me busy. Unfortunately, most of the days they were looking for I had already committed to someone else or was working at AAFES. I did however sub at a charter school in a fourth/fifth grade classroom on Wednesday. The school was very interesting, because it was basically a warehouse on the side of the highway converted into a school. I was in the only room on the second floor, which was nice because it made it very private, and I didn't have to deal with all the other people in the school. The staff is only made up of about 11 people so it's a very small school. It's K-12th grade and there are less than 200 students. The atmosphere is nice, lots of air flowing in the school, because they keep the warehouse doors open, but I'd hate to think what the trapped winter will be like.

Yesterday at work Mason got to wear his flight suit and be a Guinea Pig for some photograph thing that fell through, but he got to do semi-virtual parachuting with some other Lts. We went to a BBQ off base at one of the Lts houses and we met a lot of the other people in Mason's pilot training class. Mason and I spent most of the time just catching up with each other since we both had worked all day. Today I worked again, Saturday's are very long at the shoppette, since we don't get too many customers; which in turn makes it a day of looking like you are busy.

Mason went out in the morning today to a police auction in Wichita Falls to see what sort of things they had. He didn't have much luck finding anything, only two auctions of some random cell phone parts, a bag, some radios etc...but the price jumped too quickly for him. Mason got a kick out the auctioneer and his fast Texas-accent callings.

Mason and I are going to enjoy SLEEPING IN tomorrow!!! No plans, nothing to do. We'll probably head over to the gym for some more racquetball later in the day. While my game has improved (meaning, Mason's seen me run more, and slam into walls less) I still haven't won a game yet... perhaps my luck will change with more practice.

Rembrandt is sad because we still haven't replaced the piece for his cage. The warehouse charges more for shipping then for the piece, but we saw that the warehouse is on Touhy in Chicago, so I might just go get the piece when I am in town next month...unless anyone else wants to help us out...

Mason is also one step closer to his fantasy...today he bought a motorcycle helmet and jacket. He's still bargaining a price on a bike he saw in Dallas. Mixed feelings are held on this subject, just hope nothing breaks before, during or after pilot training.

No comments: