Monday, January 13, 2014

Happy Birthday Mason



Yesterday was Mason's 29th birthday, and I hope he had a great one!  We did some minimal balloon decorations around the house and basically had a lazy day, but what more could one want on their birthday.  It actually warmed up here in the Frozen Tundra so Mason and Theo got some time to play outside, while Woodrow and I sorted clothes inside. 

Theo's favorite part about the day was the cake.  We surveyed Mason to see what kind he wanted (he was getting chocolate cake/chocolate frosting), but Theo still asked him, and then we got to work throughout the day with baking the cake and decorating.  Theo was a little bummed we had to wait until after dinner to eat it.  But, he picked the shapes we put on the cake and what color sprinkles to use.  He even snuck back into the kitchen and used his stool to help him taste test the frosting on the cake.  (He got caught)! 

We all took a long nap in the afternoon which was unusual and WONDERFUL.  The boys slept almost 4 hours each, and Mason and I slept 3 hours each.  It was AMAZING! 

I made a Korean Beef dish Mason requested for dinner, and finally we got to eat the cake!  Although Theo was not a fan of the sparkling candles we got that were also trick candles.  He just wanted them to blow out!  I was particularly excited for presents!  I love to give presents and I've been waiting awhile to actually give this to Mason, since I thought up the idea a few months ago. 

This year, the theme of Mason's Christmas and Birthday presents were things that he could use or have while he was away at Weapons School. 

For Christmas I gave this set to Mason with the poem, "i carry your heart with me" by E. E. Cummings.  The idea is that Mason would put the dog tag with his other dog tags and I'd wear the necklace while he was away, and we'd be able to be close when apart.  I also gave him an extra copy of the family picture calendar I make every year, so he'd have one to hang in his hotel room while he was gone. 

For his birthday, I went along the lines of "Weapons School Survival Kit."  Lot of snacks (mostly for the car ride there), class materials (dry erase markers, pencils, notebook), hygiene products (razors, deodorant, febreeze, etc), a bag of Hershey Kisses with one for each day he's gone, and a book of pictures with him and the boys.  But my favorite part was the 29 "Open When" letters.  I prepared 29 letters for him to open at different times while he's gone.  I figured he'd get made fun of it I was sending him letters all the time to the general address he gave me, so the kids and I prepared a few for the road.  Some of the letters have letters, special things from Theo, and others have goodies inside (can't elaborate or he'll see).  But, that was a lot of fun, but also very emotional writing some of those letters.

I hope that he had a great day!  I'm grateful we got to celebrate with him and enjoy the day as a family.


 





 

No comments: