Saturday, March 21, 2020

Ellen's Year of Travel...or Not

I bit of wallowing. My mom was supposed to arrive Thursday.  Mason and I were supposed to leave this morning for Oberammergau, Germany.  He was going to be working, attending a class with NATO.  I'd planned an awesome itinerary for us.  Things included: Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial, Neuschwanstein Castle, Zugspitze, the Partnach Gorge, visiting with a dear friend who's stationed at Rammstein, strolling through the town of Oberammergau seeing all the beautiful buildings and woodwork, a day in Munich, relaxing, reading, sleeping, spending time with Mason.

I planned the whole routine for my mom here.  Meals, the daily schedule, survival mode activities.  I know she was looking forward to coming, my Dad was going to join at the end of the week, and the kiddos were REALLY looking forward to the visit.

Then CORVID-19.  So, Germany got cancelled.  We reworked our plan and decided on driving to the Rocky Mountain National Park.  Then more cases started appearing in the US.  The military put a stop movement in place, and Mason can't travel outside 60-100 miles of our home.  That cancelled RMNP.

That was a week ago.  Now RMNP has closed.  Grocery store shelves are depleting quickly. States are requesting citizens to shelter in place.  Businesses are shutting down. Schools are closed for weeks.  Nothing is normal anymore.

I was supposed to be traveling to Dallas for an overnight in April to go to Jen Hatmaker's big book launch event and hear her speak.  Brene Brown speak. Mostly I was excited to be seeing my dear friend from Guam who invited me to meet her down there.  This year I had three ELLEN trips planned.  A pretty big and unique deal for me.  It looks like one is left for later in the Fall and only time can tell how it will pan out.

There are many good things to focus on right now.  I feel a peace that I am with my babies and am grateful we didn't travel and get stuck away from our kids and our home.  But.  There's also a sense of disappointment in the memories we'd liked to have made.  Instead we will make different memories and in the end this will all be fine.
  

No comments: