Monday, December 11, 2017

Hawaii Trip-Day 6/7/8


Day 6
Coordinating with a large group of people proved challenging on our trip since we had a family of five, retired grandparents, and a hipster couple...all on different schedules, and with various ideas of what they wanted to do on their vacation.  This was the first weekend and day off for Mason on the trip and he wanted to check out the beaches, so we proposed Shark's Cove on the North Shore.  We took the drive North and enjoyed the scenery along the way and we all ended up arriving there about the same time.  I think Mason was in the water snorkeling before the car doors were even shut.  We were able to find a secluded area to set our gear and it had a nice view of the cove/ocean.  This area was a little bit rough, but had some nice corals/fish.  It was a challenge getting and and out with the surf.  I did see one sea turtle, managed to lose our defogger in the ocean, and scrapped up my leg, but the morning was a fun one.  The boys spent most of their time on the sand burying themselves and turning black from the dirt/lava rock in the sand.  Unfortunately Max was pretty fussy still from his cold. 

Once we'd all had our turns playing in the water, snacking, and checking out the views we decided to take Ross up on his suggestion of the famous Matsumoto's Shaved Ice.  It was so yummy!  It was a great cool treat after a warm beach day.  Mason skipped it, but I got raspberry and white cake shaved ice over vanilla soft serve.  Yum!  The boys each got to pick their own flavors (cotton candy and raspberry).  Ross and Jill got a huge fancy dish, and everyone enjoyed their afternoon treat. 

Day 7







Dad's two requests were that we have Sunday brunch at the Yacht Club near their hotel and that we get some family photos, so despite Maximus still feeling under the weather, we met up for brunch (I think by this time we were getting tired of meals out).  Mostly because Theo and Woodrow want very limited foods and Max likes to climb out of the highchair or throw food...not super relaxing for me (or Mason who gets the brunt of my glares).  The food was tasty and we ate on a breezy deck which was nice. 

After that we headed back from the Waikiki area to Ford Island where Mason had scoped out an area to snap some family photos.  They turned out great, although I would love another family photo where were aren't all in our Hawaiian shirts.  ;)  Then the entire gang, minus me, mom, and Max went to the Ford Island Aviation Museum.  I think they were there almost 4 hours!  Woodrow was on cloud nine checking out all of the airplanes! 

The mainlanders agreed to check out Cheesecake Factory for us islanders, but none of anticipated the wait time.  We went to a location on the Western part of Oahu thinking it would be better than in Waikiki and long story short, we waited about 2 hours to be seated.  The kids were really good despite being tired and hungry.  Fortunately I'd packed some legos for them to play with and they had a great time building with Ross.  For awhile Woodrow just laid on the ground and was not a happy camper and by the time we were seated I was not feeling well.  When the first appetizers started arriving I excused myself and took Max who was d-o-n-e to the car.  I was pretty sure I was going to be sick in the car, but fortunately that wasn't the case.  Max and I pretty much cried until everyone else came out and finished up eating.  We scooted back to our hotel room and Mason took care of baths and putting the kids to bed while I passed out with chills and an upset stomach. 

Day 8
The day that could just be erased!  I was up one and off with an upset stomach during the night, but poor Mason and Woodrow spent the entire night throwing up.  Without going in to too much details, I'm just really, really sorry to housekeeping.  Our family got hit sooo hard.  Theo ended up waking up in the morning with a sick stomach and I have no idea how Mason went off to work the next morning after he basically spent the entire night cleaning up Woodrow or throwing up himself.  After a calm, cleaning up morning the kids and I got some fresh air outside the hotel, did the laundry, and waited for Mason to return around lunch.  We dropped him back at work and I decided to keep the car and drive around the North/West part of Oahu.  Woodrow and Max basically slept the entire way, and Theo slept a good bit too.  We saw some cool kite surfers and made it to Kaena Point...which unfortunately did not go all the way around the Western tip.  I was a little aggravated about that, since I had to backtrack the drive, but it ended up working out.  Needless to say, we did not see the rest of the family this day. 

No comments: