A couple weekends ago Mason picked our Saturday adventure location-Shark's Cove. I try to read up a little on each of our destination locations to make sure it will be a good fit for pregnant Ellen & kiddos. I was a little nervous that some of the descriptors of this hike included, "you'll feel like you're a castaway," and "uninhabited."
This beach area wasn't too far from our house, about a 20 minute drive. The entrance is at the start of Tanguisson Beach in Dededo, Guam. The beach looked beautiful, but we decided that we were going to wait until we returned to check out that area. It was a little precarious starting off on our hike, because the path we were supposed to start along has a huge gate with multiple warnings about being private property and not to trespass. But, when has that stopped any Kehs member from continuing onward. The first part of the hike was along a gravel road with jungle along the sides. Theo and Mason took the lead, while Woodrow and I moseyed along. There were several little latte formations along the side of the road, and Mason even saw a 3-4 foot Monitor Lizard.
The next part of the path went right along the ocean and so we walked part of the way in the sand, and part of the way along the jungle. It was hard to tell exactly where the path was, but there was a nice ocean breeze and some shade. Up until this point the kids were in regular clothes, but as the path wandered on we decided that we were going to need to wade in the water to get around to the next part of beach. We switched the boys into their swim gear and packed up the bag for walking through the water. Theo did pretty good on his own, but I was holding Woodrow's hand and he decided to take more of the let me float and jump approach. While I did have water shoes on it was still a bit slippery, and I was feeling nervous that I was going to slip in the water and soak our gear...fortunately no spills.
There were about 3 little turn points along the ocean before reaching the Shark's Cove destination. It was nice to find a shady spot under the Palm Trees. Mason and I took turns snorkeling, although my mask was much foggier this time and it was harder for me to see clearly in the water. There were some really cool blue starfish, and maybe next time I'll be brave enough to hold one. Mason ventured farther out in the water than I did and enjoyed seeing the many different fish. Mason also worked on staging our coconut, baby announcement photo.
The four of us walked along the beach some more and through a jungle area where there was a narrow path with lots of beautiful butterflies. This path led to a different beach, which may have actually been the Shark's Cove beach, but whatever, we had a great time on our whole adventure. We did see a few people cross our path along the beach As we were getting ready to leave we saw a group carrying large palms as their sun protectors and some men wearing more (or less) "traditional" beach outerwear.
It was a warm walk back to the car location, but we got to wade through the water again, and took a few rests along the way. There was a group of three men walking along near us, and the boys noted that one of them had a "shooter" (actually a spear). I asked them if they had caught anything good, and they replied that they had caught some octopi. When they asked if we wanted to see, we of course said yes. We didn't get a picture, but they had several octopi in their cooler, and the one they held up was about 18 inches long. Cool, but glad I didn't run into it in the water.
On the way home we stopped for some Wendy's frostys and Woodrow passed out. We were definitely more pink when the day ended, but had a really great adventure.
Wednesday, June 1, 2016
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment