Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Where in the World is...

...the Kehs family???

So, my last "family" update was a little bit of a downer, and I never went back and updated with where the heck everyone is and what's going on.

Last we left off, Mason had gotten into Weapons School, it was cancelled, and he had to reapply for the January Class (14A).  The powers that be, decided that was unfair to all those guys, so they changed their minds and grandfathered all the people who were accepted in to the class that will begin in January.  Yay!  This timing worked out well for several families (about 5) that have either just had babies, or are going to have babies soon (what would have been during the class they were selected for originally).  It also was good for Mason, because it gives him a few more months of preparation time.  So, Weapons School starts in early January and is back down at Barksdale in Louisiana. 

The question I get asked the most is will I be going with Mason, and the answer is no.  It's going to be a very long and hard 6 months for both of us.  The Weapons School tempo is basically 14-17 hour days, 5-6 days a week. I believe Sundays are more of an "off" day, but I think most guys use it as a study day.  About 99% of the studying and work has to be done "at work" because it's secret information so they have to study in the vault.  So, just the pace and schedule alone means that Mason will be working long, hard days, which means he'd see the kids very little, if at all.  The next issue is lodging.  We'd basically have to stay in Mason's base hotel room.  Four people (two being kids, with kid and baby gear) in one of those one bedroom rooms, would be very tight.  If we rented an apartment off base we'd essentially be paying double rent for the Barksdale and Minot houses, which just isn't logical.  To be honest, this will be the longest that Mason and I have even been separated since we've started dating and it makes me sad and nervous.  I don't know how families spend an entire year apart.  I have a friend who's husband is gone on a year deployment now, and she has two small children- to me, she's one of the strongest people I know!  Imagine how much you and your kids change in a year, and imagine your spouse missing all those changes!  We're so lucky to have skype and cell phones, but it's not the same as a kiss in the morning, or a tuck in to bed at night, or a new baby being able to smell their daddy.  For me, there's something about the laundry missing that gets me upset.  The first load of laundry where there aren't any uniform parts, or orange t-shirt mixed in, I get sad and lonely...and it's laundry, people!

All that being said, we're being given a small dosage of Mason being gone right now.  He's currently at Squadron Officer School (SOS) in Montgomery, Alabama.  He's sweating his balls off!  Sorry dude!  The program is 7ish weeks long and according to Mason, very repetitive.  They have daily readings and then they discuss those readings the following day, and week, etc...He's getting to see some old friends from college, and previous bases, and meet new people in different jobs, so that sounds like a fun aspect, and he also has been getting to (forced to) workout a lot, which is always a goal of his at home, but there are always lots of distractions.  

We tossed back and forth a lot whether Mason would drive or fly to SOS.  Montgomery is a looooong drive from Minot, and Mason didn't want to really do it alone...after much tossing back and forth, Mason decided to drive (and is glad he did).  Theo and I hitched a ride to Evanston where we were able to spend 5 days as a family before Mason headed South.  We're very fortunate the my parents, Mason's mom, sister, and grandparents all live very close to one another, so it was great that Mason got to see his family for a little bit.  They hadn't seen us in an entire year, so Theo sure has changed a lot!  Mason headed South the end of May, and Theo and I are staying with my parents until the end of June.  It's been wonderful!  Theo has just been a burst of language development and is having a WONDERFUL time exploring new things and having all the attention of Mommy and extended family.  Mason won't get back until the end of July, so unfortunately Theo and I have to head home to an empty house, but I've got to get back to see my Ob/Gyn and try to get Theo a little settled back into our home routine before Dad and Baby arrive!  Once Mason gets home, it will be about a week and a half until the baby arrives- CRAZY! 

Lots going on right now, but the time at my parents' house has been great.  Lots of relaxing for me, and gorging on deep dish pizza, and treats I can't get in Minot.  It's been one of our harder separations since I'm a hormonal preggo, Theo recognizes Daddy isn't here, and Mason's not exactly loving the SOS learning experience.  Theo's very sweet though, he asks multiple times daily about Mason, and always looks under the covers in my bed for him, like, "Mom, come on, I know you're hiding him!"  Mason's been great about calling daily and skyping every other day (or so).  That's been great for Theo, and since there are always so many planes flying overhead Theo always says, "airplane, hi dada."  So sweet!





No comments: