Last weekend was the annual Barksdale Air Show. The first year, Mason was out of town, last year Mason had to work, but this year we were able to go as a family. There are people I know that just don't like Air Shows, and I'm so surprised since their spouses are in the military. I'm pretty lucky since growing up my family always went to the Chicago Air and Water Show--great view from my Dad's boat!



My bubble was burst slightly when we were looking at the show line-up for the day, and I commented to Mason that I didn't see the F15/16/18 demo teams--apparently their budgets were cut. What- no jets! At least the Thunderbirds were performing. We decided to sleep in on Saturday and just take our time going over to the air show. We walked around the static displays and caught a few of the acts. Mason had to laugh because I always try naming all the planes and when we got to the C-5, I said it looks like a C-5 but it can't be because when I first say a C-5 at the Sheppard AIr Show I thought it was the biggest plane I had ever seen in my life. Mason said that was because I could only compare it to the Cessna, and Tweets he had flown- but now that we're in BUFF land, the C-5 doesn't seem so ginormous.

We enjoyed the show, but around 1:30 we were hot and didn't really want to wait until 3:00 for the Thunderbirds (since we were going out that night) We ended up watching the Thunderbirds show from the backyard which worked out perfectly, although I was a little distracted and missed covering Theo's ears once and he didn't appreciate that.
Sunday, Mason had gotten up at 6am to go do his flying lessons with his CAP students- so we ended up just walking to the end of the runway that afternoon to catch the Thunderbird show. That way we didn't have to go through security and we had a great view. Theo enjoyed it much more!
 |
| Getting dressed up for the evening out- Theo stayed with our great neighbors! |
Maybe the Air Force will decide to re-fund the demo teams some day, but for now, we'll enjoy the show.
No comments:
Post a Comment