Today is the one-year anniversary of the death of two students from the school I teach at. I knew Trent, who had graduated the first year I taught at my school, but I taught Evan "Pudge" in my class. He would have celebrated his eighteenth birthday in October, and would have graduated this year. As teachers, I guess we're not supposed to have "favorites" but Pudge was definitely a favorite of mine, even though I may not have always shown him. Pudge was the kind of kid you loved to have in class, but sometimes dreaded as well. First of all he was really smart! He kept teachers on their toes and always questioned authority and what he thought was right. He refused to read Native American myths because they didn't believe in the same God as he did. Eventually he came around and wrote his own myth (as an assignment) about the Chuck-a-taw nation, where Chuck Norris was the leader. My students were also told they would get 10 bonus points if they bought a book from the book fair and read it and told the class about it...next time I will be more specific.
Pudge had an amazing sense of humor, which I just got a glimpse of in the year that I taught him. He was well liked by EVERYONE and was a great role model (most of the time). The week before he died we were about to begin reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn in class. My Juniors were having a discussion about the "n-word" since it is used frequently throughout the text. Pudge sat quietly on the side of the room (not where he normally sits), reading a Time magazine, when all of a sudden he busts into the conversation. Well, I'm a
I really miss Pudge, he would have changed to world for sure! His mom has an amazing faith and strength to do what she does now, and I'm so proud to know her. She became the sponsor of SADD (Students Against Destructive Decisions) this year and has begun a Smart Choices "campaign." I have seen such a difference in many of the students, and so I'm happy that from tragedy has come something good. Over Thanksgiving break I met some students at our Prom Venue and I texted them to see if they were there yet. I met them 5 minutes later and the boy that was with the group said, "Ms. Kehs, you must have sent that text while you were driving...and you had Theo! Make Smart Choices Mrs. Kehs." They are impacted and changing the world, and they were good to call me out. So, I'm trying to make Smarter Choices and thinking of Pudge while doing so.
No comments:
Post a Comment