Thursday, December 29, 2011

Boobs

I'm not sure I have all that many male readers besides Mason and my father-in-law, but this post could probably be passed up if you swing low instead of hang high.

My friend Anne, a fellow military spouse, age 28, was diagnosed in October with Breast Cancer. Ironically enough, breast cancer awareness month. On Tuesday she had a double mastectomy and reconstruction surgery. So far all signs look like they removed the cancer and it had not spread to her lymph nodes, thankfully. She's been through so much more than just having to deal with cancer that past few months (if you'd like to follow her journey you can read her blog:http://annefightsback.blogspot.com). She's such a strong woman and has an incredible faith. So, with her news I was sort of shocked, because she just turned 29 this month- that's 2 years older than I am. I don't do self breast exams; or shall I say didn't.

I have to say that my boobs and I are much more in tune with each other since Theo's been born since they are his food source and I need to pump all the time and I'm constantly thinking about them. Gee, they're sore, full, tender, squishy, looking good, etc...I've even commented to Mason that my left boob could probably provide enough milk to feed all of Kenya. But seriously, never was I thinking that I should be looking for lumps or signs of something being wrong- but now I take it more seriously. So, I'm hoping that anyone who's reading this will think of their boobies a little more frequently and feel yourself up to prevent (or catch) cancer at an early stage.

1 comment:

david kehs said...

I support happy boobs when ever I can