Most military spouses would probably tell you that one of the top three best parts about being in the military is probably also one of the worst- the people that you meet. I say it's the best, becasue obviously you get to make amazing friendships, but there will come a day when you have to part your ways, which makes it the worst. So while we aren't headed out anywhere just yet, I wanted to take time to give tribute to three of my BEST military friends.
Nicole was probably one of my first best military friends. Nicole and her husband Phil lived at Sheppard while we were there and she also taught at the same school I did. So while our husbands weren't in the same class at pilot training they were doing the same things, just a few months apart and we didn't teach the same grade, but we definitely had our share of crazy stories to share from our small school. I was really lucky that Nicole lived just a half-block from our house which made it easy to get together. Sometimes in the military you can find that you become friends with a spouse and tell your husband all about your new friend, and then later find out that the person he's been bad mouthing (by callsign, or last name) turns out to be your new friends husband-but this was totally not the case! Mason and I both got along really well with Phil and Nicole. We shared lots of interest about family, upbringings, love of nature, life goals, etc. We were really sad when Phil and Nicole had to leave Sheppard, but we were brought together again because they moved to Barksdale, where we also followed a few months later. Again, we lived about a half-block apart. We were brought back together to have game nights, bon fires, and time to hang out. But in August (of 2009) they were sent to Minot. I cried. It's really hard saying goodbye to friends. We've been very lucky to stay in contact through emails, facebook, and we've met-up in Chicago twice while we were home for the holidays and they passed through on their way to Michigan. They were also recently here this summer while Phil did some training. While Air Force friends are sent world-wide I know we'll get to see each other again, becasue we're a small group.
Andrea is my next friend who I adore tremendously. She, too, was actually stationed at Sheppard while we were there, but we didn't really hang out until we were both stationed here at Barksdale. There was definitely an awkward meeting in Texas when I hosted a cooking club night (something like that) for our spouse group and she was the only one who showed up- strange evening, but now a funny memory. Andrea is so hilariously awesome, I probably can't describe it. Something about both our personalities is so different, yet I think that's probably why were are friends. I'm envious of her craftiness, good cooking, and amazing mommy skills. Her two kids are some of the most amazing kiddos I know. Andrea often would have me over to her house while the guys were working late or out doing whatever, and we would just hang out. You know your true friends when you can hang out in your yoga pants and do dishes while visiting. She welcomed me into her house so many times for dinner, and chats. We are definitely great gossipers- not gonna lie! She's made times apart from Mason really great and not seem so lonely. Andrea's family is from Colorado so she has moved there from time to time during different deployments or times when she and her husband have to be separated for a long time- yay for her, boo for me. She went out there in July, which I bawled over since she was going to be gone for 4-5 months. Wait, lose my husband on a deployment AND my best friend! So I get through it, knowing she and her kiddos will return in the winter time, and all will be okay...until I got the email that made me bawl! They were getting re-assigned to South Dakota and probably wouldn't come back to Barksdale since her husband would be going to training and it wouldn't make sense to move the kids back here for that short intern time- WHAT?!? I miss her A LOT, but I guess now Mason and I will have a place to stay when we go visit South Dakota...
Christen is my next door neighbor here at Barksdale. We celebrated our two year anniversary of being duplex neighbors this summer. She is an equally good friend and one who I admire a lot. Christen has such an open and kind heart. When Christen and her husband Mason moved in next door we were really lucky. This was the first time that our neighbors were friendly people that we got to hang out with on a regular basis. Christen is super outgoing so we because fast friends. We have neighbor potlucks, and she also opens her door for me to hang out at their house all the time. She has two little ones that adore Theo which is pretty cute! Christen has an amazing faith in God, one that I don't necessarily share, but she's always open to sharing and teaching her beliefs with me. Her patience is a great quality that I don't always possess. I'm really lucky to have such a great friend right next door. For now we're all still in the same duplex with no plans to move, but she did spend four months in Florida while her husband was deployed this year, which gave me the opportunity to really realize how much I valued having such a great friend next door.
So, great job military- you've led me to some amazing friends, just try not to always take them so far away!
Tuesday, November 29, 2011
Friends make everything better
Posted by
Ellen
at
6:41:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment