Sunday, June 19, 2011

Ellen and Baby's Movie Reviews



With Mason gone and being on summer vacation this has left lots of time for TV viewing and Movie watching. While I'm usually content to stay home and watch TV reruns, and movies on TV I have been fortunate enough to get to go see three movies in the theater!

Bridesmaids:
Mason and I actually went to go see this movie in Fort Worth on our romantic getaway weekend (which still deserves a separate posting) and we both enjoyed it. I wouldn't say we died laughing like we had a few years before when we had gone to see Baby Mama in Fort Worth, but nevertheless it was a good movie for a Saturday afternoon when we were avoiding the heat. My girlfriends invited me to see it again since Mason's been gone and I almost turned them down since I didn't think it was that hilarious, but decided to go just for something to do and the company. I have to say seeing it for a second time in a theater filled with women was more enjoyable than the first viewing with about 10 people tops in the theater. It was pretty funny to watch and listen to women near-by whisper things like, "bitch" and "oh no she didn't" and then burst into song at the end of the movie. Sometimes I guess the audience makes the movie. I'd recommend the movie as a rental movie, probably good for a girls' night in.

Something Borrowed:
I went to see this movie Friday night at the base theater; for $4.50 I can't really complain. I actually liked the movie although it wasn't quite what I had expected. I think I was expecting the women to be fighting over a different male character so that threw me off a bit. Again, this is a movie I would rent and see with friends. I guess in the South I get used to the cheaper movies; $4 on base, $6.50 in town, as compared to the almost $11 dollar tickets back home, so it all seems like a bargain. I don't think my girlfriends really liked this movie, but I think movies with betrayal and love stories are hard to handle during times of separation from spouses. I did find myself wishing I was coming home to my husband waiting for me. Baby Kehs must have like the music in this movie, or the popcorn I was consuming because s/he was thumping away with the loud movie noises.

Water for Elephants:
Let me first say, that I got this book almost 2 years ago for free from the Military OneSource website and I probably read 1 page and then it hit the shelves while grad school and lesson planning took over. I was determined that I was going to read this book, this summer and I was even more encouraged to do so when I saw the movie was coming out. Since Mason's been gone I think I stayed up three nights in a row reading this book. I LOVED it! It was unlike anything I had really read before and just didn't want to put it down. I think I read 250 pages in one night once I had really dug into the plot. I feel like my time is limited for pleasure reading and I was so happy that when I got the chance to read, I was reading this book.

Tonight, I ventured all by myself to the movies. I almost chickened out because I was a little embarrassed to go alone, but party feeling sorry for myself that I was going to the movies alone; but I really wanted to see how the movie compared the the book. First of all, I was really glad that I had read the book first (and would recommend the same to anyone else wanting to see the movie). But I felt the movie really lived up to my expectations and I thoroughly enjoyed it. While it wasn't a movie that has to be seen in the movie theaters, I'd watch it in theaters again. Again, Baby Kehs enjoyed the popcorn and loud sound effects because s/he was kicking away again.

So, while I didn't really divulge any movie details, I've been having a fun time venturing out and about. I'm hoping to finish reading The Help before that movie comes out later this summer so that I can go see that movie before my movie days are limited.

2 comments:

Letting Christ Build said...

I love going to the movies! Next time you venture out call and we'll hang out. There should be a lot of good ones coming out soon. Looking forward to it.

Jenny said...

Thanks for the review. I was wondering how "Water for Elephants" was as I have read the book. I will make sure to watch it now. I just finished "The Help" - amazing book! I am looking forward to seeing the movie. I wish we were closer so we could go see it together.