At the end of May, Mason was promoted to the rank of Captain. This is really exciting, because although it is one of the ranks that you are "automatically" promoted to at a set time (which is all changing now) being a Captain means more responsibility, and you are treated like you actually know something. Most people stay Captains for about six years because there are a lot of stepping stones to be promoted to Major. Captain also means a pay bump along with other little benefits.
The last work day before Mason promoted was also especially cool because he was finally given a call sign, "Krypto." You'll have to ask him for the details of the naming over a cold can of pop. All in all we were pretty happy with Krypto because it could have been a lot worse. On Fridays the aircrew wear their Friday shirts under their flight suits but also get to wear their call sign name tag instead of a regular name tag. Having a call sign also shows that you've been in the squadron for awhile and have some "status." Mason was pretty happy that Tuesday morning after Memorial Day to go back to the squadron as a Captain with a call sign; I think he was already getting more attention.
So of course, what did we do but celebrate! Mason was pretty embarrassed by the decorations I put in front of our house, and it took some convincing that I wasn't inviting a bunch of people over to embarrass him, but that I just was celebrating our excitement over the occasion.
Also, many of you know that Mason is a sweaty beast, which means promotion = new cover for his sweaty head. We may need to do a half-way celebration between Captain and Major just so he can get a new cover. I was pretty proud of myself when we were walking home from the pool and Mason started talking about how he thought he should probably get a new cover, and little did he know I already had one wrapped at home for him.
We also had to celebrate with some banana bread, which two loaves conveniently looked like a pair of Captain's bars. This was later packed for the trip to Guam, and from what I hear has already been consumed overseas.So proud!!!
Monday, June 6, 2011
Captain Krypto Kehs
Posted by
Ellen
at
4:56:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment