Since school got out I've felt the need to get my classroom all set up asap...I'm not sure why; I think the sense of being "ready" for next year is something I need to feel so I can sleep at night (literally). I've been trying to get to bed at a reasonable hour to avoid insomnia and sleeping all day. I've been okay, except the past two nights, I think I just get anxious for others. Anyways-My classroom is mostly all set up, this years theme is "Under the Sea with Mrs. Kehs." I rearranged the room and by doing so ended up with a lot of "extra" space. I will be teaching 21 3rd-4th graders as of right now, so I'm excited about that. I love teaching 4th grade the most since I get to do lots of writing with them. I've managed to stay away from school this week so far, although I have to go in tomorrow for a meeting. I'll put up pictures this weekend, if I can remember to take my camera tomorrow.
Other than that, I've been relaxing at home. We've had a break in the temperature, and been lucky that ever few days the temperature drops from 11degrees, to the high 80s... I've been trying to work out every day, since there is really no excuse for me not to. I've got a few household projects underway, mainly sorting and dumping old papers, but it's giving me the feeling of doing something.
Last Saturday, Mason and I went to a flight changeover party for his class. Half-way through the T-37 phase of training, after everyone has their first solo in the "tweet" there is a solo party, and the IPs (Instructor Pilots) get to make fun of all the stupid mistakes the students make. At the end of the T-37 training there is a changeover party with the new class and this time the students (Mason's flight) get to make fun of the IPs. It involves lots of beer and gag gifts. Mason got one of his IPs a shovel, since he's always digging himself into holes....It was a fun time.
Mason's been VERY busy since he started the second half of training with the T-38. This is his fourth week with the T-38. He's been in academics, and had several simulator rides, but has begun the long days. He's been working 12 hour days, plus studying, and working out for his PT test (which finally got set for Tuesday, after being pushed back multiple times.) He's enjoying everything, although finding that there is a lot of new information to learn. (I'm sure he'll post soon.)
You may have heard us refer to "H flight; " that was Mason's flight in the 37s...he's now in "M flight"--or Mob Flight...that means a bigger and better air conditioned flight room. :-)
Today Mason has his first flight in the T-38. There is some added pressure since in the T-38 the seating in the cockpit is tandem seating, so the instructor can't just reach over and flip a switch that may have been overlooked. I try not to think about the possibility of anything bad happening. So, he should be taking off as I write this...yea! Mason pointed out to me that after today he'll only have 10 flights until his first checkride, but we'll just take things one day at a time.
I have a feeling that once he gets into a flying routine, December's graduation will be here before we know it.
Wednesday, July 16, 2008
Dog days of summer
Posted by
Ellen
at
6:26:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment