Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Hiking: Preparation Canyon State Park (22)

5.12.2020



After Theo's class Zoom call yesterday morning, we made the 1.5 hour drive North in Iowa to Preparation Canyon State Park.  This is a hiking area in the Loess Forest, and that's become one of our favorite areas to hike when we're looking for a longer/challenging hike.  We've been two times before and always started from the "main entrance" to the park, so this time I proposed we start on the East side of the park at the primitive camping entrance.  It ended up working out really well, and we were able to get in lots of hiking.  4.75 miles.

We saw lots of turkey vultures flying overhead, but not much other wildlife.  At one point we heard turkeys, and saw evidence of deer...but I suspect any animals in the park were far away from the noisy boys.  We saw three other groups from a distance.  Apparently hunting for Morrell mushrooms is popular around these parts at this time of year.  It was our second outing this month were people asked us if we were hunting.  At first I was confused, but after talking to one group, I realized that this was what they were doing.

I have to chuckle a little bit because since my birthday gift arrived (my own camelback), Mason's been carrying his full size backpack which holds his water pouch.  This means he's also become the sandwich and excess snack carrier.  He's living my life of being the schlepper these days.

We started on the trails at 1pm and it was a pretty grey day.  We started on a climb over a hill and then headed into a canyon.  The boys didn't think the trees were the *best* ones for climbing, but they managed to find some good holes to hid in anyways.  It felt like we were doing more up-hills than down-hills overall, but it was our first time visiting in the greenery and it was so pretty.  I noted all the birdsongs that are peaceful to listen to.  We also weren't slip sliding in the mud and snow this time.  The temperature was 55 degrees, which was just perfect.  

Max has been getting into the outdoor activities more, so he kept asking if we could have a fire when we got home and asking when he gets to go tent camping.

Overall it was a nice day with not much complaining from the little people.  This is definitely an enjoyable hike with different routes and options.  I imagine it gets filled up with campers in normal seasons, but the campsites are spread out for backpack camping.  

No comments: