Wednesday, June 26, 2019

We're going to the Zoo, zoo, zoo...how about you, you, you?

Mason didn’t have to go to work on Friday so we decided to venture out to the Henry Doorley Zoo. It is supposed to be one of the top zoos in the country. I wanted to make sure Mason had a chance to venture out with us so we could get our military pass and also since we’re losing him back into the work world he won’t be as flexible for exploring.

The zoo is huge! I imagine because of its reputation is draws equal tourists and people living in area. We spent our whole first hour just in the jungle building. The facilities were impressive and there were lots of different animals. It seemed like there were a lot of people at the zoo, but it didn’t feel crowded. It was nicer earlier in the day because there was a cloud cover, but it eventually lifted and gave way to sun and heat.  After a cooler spring and then bam into summer heat my body doesn't know what to do with itself. 

My favorites were the giraffes and elephants, all who were in their inside spaces. The spaces felt spacious and clean. The outdoor elephant enclosure seemed to take up half of the zoo. I think it will be really fun to see them outside one day. There were also a lot of giraffes, including a baby!

We wandered through the newly opened Asian Highlands area, but once Max saw the train rolling through the park, the animals became a secondary interest. He was all about finding the train. We’ve heard it wasn’t worth the expense, but I foresee us taking a ride one day. Two is very fun at times right now. We’re fully into trucks, trains, and fire engines.

We spent about four hours at the zoo and there is certainly much more we didn't even see.  I'm glad that we have our pass and can explore anytime and it will be a nice option for Maximus and I during the school year.


No comments: