Thursday, April 25, 2019

Month of the Military Child

April was named the month of the military child and a Dandelion is considered a symbol for military brats.  "They say military children are like dandelions.  They can put down roots almost anywhere.  They are impossible to destroy. They adapt easily and can survive nearly anywhere. Military children bloom everywhere the wind carries them and they stand ready to fly into breezes to take them into new adventures, new lands and new friends."

I often wonder if living this life where we travel around will make our boys more or less interested in traveling when they are older.  Will they want to be in the military or distance themselves from it?  Only time can tell.   Our boys have each been born in a different location (Louisiana, North Dakota, and Guam).  They've traveled to many states and countries for their ages (7,5,2).  They've met countless friends in kid and adult form.  Sometimes they seem weary of having to pick up and move again, settle into new schools and programs.  I now this will probably become harder as they age, but hopefully they're able to see the experiences they are having now stem from this adventurous, wandering life we lead. 

Our little guys are some of the strongest people I know.  They adapt and change when they ofter don't have any say in the matter.  I love that they get to share their joys with friends all over the world.  This week Theo had a substitute and when they took attendance they were told to answer "hello" in a language other than English.  Theo told us how he said, Hafa Adai, and explained it was the Chamorro way of saying hello.  Another family was telling how they were so excited they saw a turtle in the ocean, and I though my kids have swam with turtles, sharks, eagle rays.  I know that they probably won't remember many of our adventures, but I know we'll keep on having them and taking pictures and creating memories wherever we land. 

No comments: