Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Activities

Most days I find myself wanting to pull up the computer chair to our desk and write away at the blog, but wasn't really sure that people wanted to hear about the kids and family all the time.  Tonight I thought I'd write about something different, but as I gathered my thoughts, I decided I wanted to write about our family.  It's what I'm passionate about and so, here's a little of what we've been up to.

Extra curricular activities are in full swing around here.  I tried to not overload the kids schedule with activities and so far it seems like we've settled on a good balance.  Theo was chosen to be part of his school's "Primary Challenge" class which is a version of the gifted program because he tested above grade level.  Once a week he goes to a reading and math lesson and gets additional work and challenge.  Theo also started Chess Club last week which meets once a week during school lunch and so far he's really enjoyed it.  There are a few friends from his class in the chess club so he was happy about that.

Swimming lessons seem to be going well so far.  Mason's been taking the boys and as long as Woodrow isn't the only one in his class he does well.  Theo began a clay class two weeks ago and has started working on a clay gorilla (his favorite land animal) and a self portrait.  He has really enjoyed having this class!  If Theo doesn't have time for art each day we get to experience a meltdown about how we "never let him do anything or art."

Maximus has been going to a toddlers in action class and seems to enjoy jumping around.  The little boys are definitely more active than the little girls.  I will say that Max particularly likes the song portion of the class, so I wish there was a bit more of that.


Cub Scouts has been going well so far this year. Woodrow is the only Lion Scout, but that has meant he gets to hang out with Theo's wolf group and I think he likes that anyways.  The boys have gone on a short hike at a local Nature Preserve, The Grove, are going on a weekend camping trip in October, and are doing a popcorn fundraiser-if anyone wants to purchase popcorn, let us know.

It's fundraiser season, or so it seems around here.  The boys school also is participating in a Kindness Walk Fundraiser.  Each boy has pledged to do certain acts of kindness and is accepting pledges to benefit the PTA/school.  They've been doing well with their kindness acts and will walk with their grade levels on October 5th-let us know if you'd like to make a donation.

Mason's been busy collecting firewood around Northern Illinois to last our firepit all year. He's done a great job with our collection and I think he finally decided to take a break.  He's been working at Argonne usually 4-5 days a week and enjoying working out in his free time.

I joined the PTA and am one of the room mom's for Woodrow's kindergarten class...seems low key so far. I also have six online classes that I am teaching this semester so that will take up some of my quiet time while the boys are both at school and Max naps.  I pray Maximus keeps napping this whole school year!!!

We've been enjoying out time near family, are planning a trip to Tennessee in October, and I personally am looking forward to all the wonderfulness of FALL!!!

No comments: