Tuesday, August 28, 2018

School is in Session

We've just barely begun our schooling years and normally I feel super bummed about school beginning and taking over our schedules, but this year I was a little ready.  The kids got out of school in June, we moved across the world back to the states two days later, and it's been a lot of togetherness all summer long.  I do definitely miss the freedom to spend the entire day adventuring and going to and fro with no time constraints, but I've also realized that school is a nice little structure for the kids. 

It's only the beginning of the second week of school, but everyone made it through the first week.  Theodore started first grade and has a male teacher-with glasses!  His teacher seems humorous, but I think the pace of the curriculum surprised Theo.  He was not impressed that the first day they spent dealing with school supplies and rules, and the second day more rules and expectations.  Theo did admit he was missing his school in Guam and kindergarten.  By day three things picked up since they dove right in to school work.  Theo brought home a really nice drawing he made from art class (the Canadian landscape from one of our trips), he did science but was still disappointed it wasn't "potions."  Theo's dreams for the year include doing "potions" (I think he just means experiments) and "sculpting" (anything with clay).  Theo has specials each day, and I'm glad that they offer the arts still.  He has PE several times a week, library, art, and music.  He's mentioned one little friend several times, and we're encouraging to learn the names of a few more people. 

This summer Theo was the only one to stick it out with swimming lessons, so starting in September he will be continuing swimming at the indoor pool at the park district.  He also is signed up for a Kids Clay class, where they'll be making different art projects each week.  Theo reminded me of myself as he poured through the brochure from the park district looking at all the classes that were offered.  Finally, he'll continue in Cub Scouts this year as a Wolf.  Mason and the boys went to an introductory BBQ this past weekend and it seems like the troop here is a little less organized/doesn't meet as frequently, so hopefully Theodore continues to enjoy scouting.

I had been pretty anxious about Woodrow starting Kindergarten this year.  He's on the younger side since he just turned five in August, he wasn't academically where I was thinking he needed to be, and boy oh boy that attitude.  I was so thankful last year that Woodrow went off the Pre-K and never threw a tantrum about it, but in the weeks leading up to Kindergarten he has started to say he wasn't going.  We didn't talk too much about school, because honestly we hadn't gotten much information from the school, so we didn't know what to hype up for Woodrow.  A week before school started we got the kids' teacher assignments and we decided to walk to the school to see if we could play the "new to the school" card and just see the school.  They were very nice and the secretary gave us a short tour and we got to quickly say hello to the teachers who were busy setting up their classrooms.
 





Woodrow was pretty shy at that encounter.  The PTA put on a back to school kindergarten picnic.  Basically we had to bribe Woodrow to go since the flyer said their would be treats.  He walked over with me, but started talking in baby talk.  When we reached the corner he said he was too shy to go, as we got closer he sat on the ground saying he wasn't going, but I finally managed to convince him to go play at the park.  He stayed far away from the kids, wouldn't take a group picture, quickly got his popsicle and fled from the scene.   More tantrums at home to follow.  The next day, Monday, was the Kindergarten orientation day.  (Theo's first day).  We got to go for thirty minutes to his class.  He was pretty nervous, but I just kept telling him all we had to do were drop off his school supplies.  His teacher seems like an angel.  She was so kind, remembered who he was, and we got a checklist of things to do (put school supplies in bins, find cubby, find mailbox, color his name).  Woodrow started to warm up, and even sat on the rug during a story.  He thought maybe it wouldn't be so bad afterall.

Tuesday afternoon (school is half-day this year again and we picked the pm session) we headed off to school.  Woodrow didn't cry or fuss, but went off in his line very well.  We haven't had any tantrums about going to school since. Although after school with two exhausted boys is a different story!

Woodrow is signed up for swimming lessons starting in September.  He did great in Guam, and while he didn't want to do his lessons this summer, we're hoping the Fall lessons go better.  Maximus is also signed up for a mom and tot class with music and playtime.  He's our active groovy dude! 

Maximus just goes with the whole flow.  He definitely misses Theo when he's at school and likes the morning time with his buddy Woodrow.  We've been trying to make it to the library to get books and play once or twice a week, head out in nature once a week, do errands, and have a clean the house morning.  Maximus didn't want to feel left out of big kid activities though, and the first day that both boys were in school, no sooner had I laid myself down for a nap (Max was in his crib), did I hear a door creaking and the pitter-patter of little feet down the hallway.  The little stinker had figured out how to climb out of his crib!!!  Seriously?  I did some furniture rearranging to move the dresser away from the crib, and he hasn't tried it again, but I'm sure the day is coming-please no!  But, most days Max does get a nap while the boys are at school and then he's very excited to go and pick them up.

The school is a 5 minute walk from our house. It's sooo great and an amazing benefit to this home.   We can walk everyday, even this morning in the rain.  I'm hoping the rest of the year goes smoothly and the kids learn, but mostly have fun and make friends!     

No comments: