Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Canada Trip: Day 2- Havre MT. to Waterton Lakes National Park, Alberta Canada

You guys, I really love planning these family trips.  I like coming up with destinations I think we will all like, finding the best routes, lodging, and activities that will best suit our family.  I kept telling myself that on this trip I was really going to be conscious of my own whining while hiking.  We have two little ones who sometimes end up whining and my own hissy fits wouldn't help anything.  So I was giving myself pep talks before this trip.  No matter how hard it is, or how sucky it may be at times, just don't bitch and moan.  I think I did pretty well for the most part...at least Mason isn't telling me he's leaving me home on the next "family" trip.  This doesn't mean however there weren't some death stares, silent moments, and tears (from me).

We enjoyed a quick breakfast at our hotel and hit the road.  One of the things that worked out pretty well for us on this trip was staying up later (it was light out late anyways) and then sleeping in most mornings until 9 or 10am.  The kids hit the electronics early this day, and I don't blame them too much.  Montana is pretty flat along the highway we were on and there wasn't much to see along the way except the frequent trains which Woodrow loved.  He made his own sign for train (basically what looks like he's tugging a whistle) and so every time he spotted one, he'd sign train so excitedly.  (I really must make a video with all his signs-someone remind me)!

Lodging courtyard
Once we got closer to Glacier National Park and Waterton Lakes National Park and you could actually see mountains Mason spotted an eagle and some deer in a field.  ItWaterton was pretty hazy due to all the forest fires, but it was still beautiful scenery.   

was fun to see the eagle soaring free.  Our time in

View from Bear's Hump
There was a slight detour where we missed a turn, but today was the day we passed into Canada.  Mason and I got passports when we started this Air Force adventure, when we thought of all the wild places we'd be sent...when we moved to North Dakota we got them for the kids since we are so close to Canada.  It made travel really easy for crossing the border.  It was less than 5 minutes for us to pass through-unfortunately they didn't stamp our passports.

We went to go check into our hotel, but we were there at about 3 and the room wouldn't be ready until after 4.  I was impressed with the little townsite and our hotel was in a really convenient spot for us to walk to restaurants and the little shops.  We stayed at the Waterton Glacier Suites and I was so glad we had the separate rooms.  We had a little balcony that the kids liked, and Mason and I enjoyed having a little space at night from the kiddos-mostly so we didn't have to worry about whispering and keeping our electronics/tv muted.  Theo got the sofa bed and Woodrow slept in a pack-n-play that was provided.  Fortunately the bedroom had an air conditioner because the living room was SO WARM.  I think they are used to cooler temperatures most of the year.  I'd recommend the hotel and stay there again.  I made sure all our rooms had a mini fridge and microwave this time around, so that was helpful for storing snacks.


Since we arrived early and the sun would be up for quite a bit Mason was ready to hit a trail.  A trail I had read about, Bear's Hump, was right near our hotel and it was described as a 2 km hike round trip with 240m (787 ft). gain.  Pretty much every hike also took us double the suggested time.  I had read that it was a tough hike, but doable with kids and a rewarding view.  I offered it up as a suggestion thinking it would be short and we'd get the majority of the elevation out of the way on day one.  (All of my avid hiking relatives can ignore my "plains" attitude to these "mole hills.")

I thought I was going to die.  Like for real have a heart attack.  Prior to our trip I'd been working out, but clearly should have just been hitting the stair climber.  It didn't help that most of the day we were in the car, snacking on junk and I hadn't really hydrated at all...anyways...I had to test my containing frustrations here.  It was discouraging seeing my 3 year old bound up this mountain and elderly couples pass me by, but it's okay.  I had to stop several times on the hike.  I thought I was going to be physically ill at a few points, but I told Mason to go ahead with the kiddos (he was carrying Woodrow in a backpack carrier and Theo was walking).  I had a few cries on the way up, but I just wanted to finish. At one point I was sitting and crying and just channeling my friend Courtney who's been a huge encouragement to me lately and I took a picture that I knew I'd have to send to her as a "before"  photo.  One of those, "I was at a low, and I'm not going to go back here again" photo, but the longer I caught my breath, I knew I'd just be so disappointed the whole trip if I gave up on day 1.  So I got up, turned on some music on my phone and said I had to walk until the end of the song, and by the end of 2 songs I started hearing little Theo's voice, which meant either I was close to the top or they were headed down.  I sped up and met them as they started to head down, and they luckily came back to the top with me (I had all the water and cameras-oops!)

It was AMAZING at the top of Bear's Hump and I'm so glad that I made it to the top.  There weren't really many people at all, and we let Woodrow walk around some.  There were several ground squirrels (they looked like big chipmunks) so Theo was excited to tell me about seeing Chip and Dale, and Woodrow loved spotting them all-I think they were hoping for some dropped fruit snacks.  Unfortunately, in the 15 minutes Woodrow was out of the backpack carrier, he was climbing on some rocks and took a big tumble backwards and hit his head on a rock.  That sound of your child's head slamming into a rock is horrible.  HORRIBLE!  He got pretty bruised up, but calmed down quickly after we both had a huge cry.  I was so nervous he was going to have a brain bleed or something awful, but after many checks during the night he appeared to be okay.

On the way down Theo and I had a really encouraging talk.  Mason had really sweetly brought along a small Canadian Flag pin that he had and gave it to Theo at the top of the mountain.  I talked to Theo about what a GREAT hiker he was and how it was so cool he got a special pin from Dad.  He was pretty proud and was excited that he was the winner to the top of the mountain with Mason.  I told him he did so well and that he was the winner, but everyone who makes it to the top is also a winner (I was trying to pep myself up).  He said, on his own, "yeah mom, only quitters don't hike to the top."  It made me feel even better about making the climb and that I can't give up on myself because I need to be a great example for my kids. 

We took the hike down nice and easy and were rewarded with seeing two bighorn sheep in the parking lot when we arrived.  We were able to check in after this and then we cleaned up and walked over to a Pow Wow that was happening a block from our hotel.  It was fun for the kids to hear the music and see the dances for a few minutes, especially since Mason had taken them here in Minot to a Pow Wow a few months ago.  We only stayed a bit and ended up at the Bayside Lakeshore Chophouse for dinner.  I am still thinking about my amazing steak with an herb sauce and garlic mashed potatoes.  My meal was so good.  Mason wasn't too thrilled with his Bison burger.  The prices in Waterton were SO EXPENSIVE!  Definitely not many bargains to be found there.  But that steak hit the spot after my tough hike.  We ended up going to Welch's Ice Cream shop after walking around the townsite a little bit and enjoyed a treat on the porch of the shop.
Our lodging is the one with the blue roof

Unfortunately, everyone had a terrible nights sleep.  We were all pretty much awake from midnight until 4am with the boys being playful and crazy...so that was really tough, but we survived the day and everyone managed to make it alive for Day 3!              




No comments: