Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Moving Day!

Moving Day!  Note:  We did not fill the entire truck with our stuff. 
If only all the blogs I mentally write could just magically appear on paper, life would be easier.  I think I mentally wrote about 20 blogs on the drive North and over the past few weeks.  I'm sure you're all glad that my brain can't actually produce all these blogs over and over again, because I'm sure they'd prove to be boring to most. 

"They trapped me in this car"
Now that we are all connected to the internet again, I can post away- lots to update about!  The packers were really great and did their jobs very efficiently.  (So far we haven't really found anything broken while unpacking).  It took them a day and a half, and if they had wanted to, they could have probably finished in one longer day.  Tuesday evening we had a room on base since our beds would be packed up and this way we could just have all of our travel stuff out of the way.  The movers came around 9am on Wednesday and were done by 2:30.  One of the hardest parts about this was keeping Theo out of the way.  Fortunately, we had playdates on Monday and Tuesday morning and then one of those days he actually took a nap in the pack-n-play.

TV has been out since Monday, finally I get to watch Sesame Street in the TLF.
On Wednesday morning I ran some last minute errands with him (returning cable card, etc...) and then Mason took him back to the TLF on base for a long nap while I worked at the house cleaning.  When you are moving off the base, you receive a cleaning list but sometimes you have strict inspections and other times it isn't so strict.  The most frustrating part, in my opinion, is that they completely clean the houses after you move out anyways.  Our duplex neighbors moved out a month prior to us, and for the weeks that followed there were constantly workers there to paint, wax floors, clean windows, replace the kitchen appliances, and it just makes me annoyed to do all the cleaning work and still get scolded because something isn't clean enough, when it's all going to be taken care of any ways.  We apparently had the dust nazi doing our inspection!




Earning his keep
Our goal for Thursday was to be on the road by 10am.  Mason went to the housing inspection at 9am and Theo and I went to check-out from our TLF.  We also stopped for gas and then met up with Mason.  We then left our 403 Shreveport Rd. house and had to get the cars weighed.  You weigh them empty and then full, because we get a small payment for the amount of weight we carry.  This is mostly beneficial when you are traveling longer distances.  Sometimes (like when we moved from TX to LA) we put extra stuff in the car for the weight, but this time we had plenty to bring with us in 2 cars without packing extra.    And by 10am we were on our first leg of our journey! 

No comments: