Military spouses sacrifice a lot. Military children sacrifice a lot. Military members sacrifice a lot. I love military life, but sometimes it can be difficult. This weekend was Veteran's Day, and I couldn't think of much inspiring to say, other than "thank you" which is sometimes just what's needed. I told Mason I was thankful for his service, and our friends' service, etc...and lately a certain phrase has been meaning more and more to me, "thanks for all you do."
This is my 3rd year on the Officers' Spouses Club (OSC) Board and this year I'm a co-social coordinator and I put together the newsletter. After sending out the first newsletter of the season, one of the Board advisers sent me an email telling me how the newsletter looked great, and she ended the email by saying, "thanks for all you do." It stuck with me then and still does several months later. I've even noticed it in more emails lately from different people. It's amazing how powerful it's been, because it was those few extra words that just made all the time and energy I put in to the work seem validated.
I've been trying to use the phrase more with people when they are helping me out complete things I want done. I've always been a go-getter. My mom calls me her Dr. Quinn child (if you're familiar with that show), because I go out and get things done. That and I'm a SUPER organizer. I like to get really involved.
When I was teaching, I got involved with sponsoring 3 extra curricular clubs. When we moved her I jumped right in and got involved in our squadron. For the past 3 years, I've been a key spouse in our squadron, and within the last year and past several months I've been our squadron spouses social coordinator (sending out evites, planning fundraisers, working on the Christmas parties), and doing lots of things to get involved. I don't do it all alone, but I love bringing people together and just being there for people in our squadron.
That being said, it's an emotional time for me. I've found my groove. Now that I'm not teaching I've found ways to pour myself into other activities and groups while still giving 100% to Theo and my family (well, not always 100%). But, I feel myself pull back at times. While I am outgoing and like to be involved, I'm actually a pretty shy person, and it takes me a while to make friends because I don't "let my hair down" until I really get to know someone. Sometimes because there is so much change in the military I hold back from getting to know people since I know they will move, or now as it turns out, we'll be moving.
In the past few months, I've grown to become so close to several different women, and it's so hard to know that while these are friendships I hope to have forever, it won't be the same when we move. I know I'll keep in touch with the old friends, and make new friends, but it's still hard. Fortunately Theo is still young and won't really "miss" any of his friends when we move, but it still hurts to think that some day he'll feel the sadness of leaving his friends that I am starting to feel now.
These feelings are sprouting after a terrific and fun evening spent at our spouse coffee and tomorrow will be our OSC function. I enjoy this time with my friends so much, and as more and more events come and go, the closer it is until our departure. We're ready for the change, but I wish I could stick all my friends in my pocket as we head North.
Lots of times people will say to military spouses, "you chose this life," "you knew what you were signing up for," "at least it's not as bad as the army (or something else)" but while you love your spouse and you did know what would be entailed in military life, it still doesn't make it easier to be separated from your spouse, or have to be apart from your extended family, or pick up and move every few years. I love my husband, and I love this life, but sometimes it's hard. But, nevertheless, we'll always come up on top. So friends, thanks for all you do for me and thanks for adding all that you do in to my life.
Tuesday, November 13, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment