Monday was my last day at school. The students finished on Friday, so Monday
was spent stuffing and sending report cards, working on odds and ends, and then
our teacher party. There really isn’t
any way to describe the AMAZING teacher party that our staff members have, but
it was movie themed- and it was awesome.
I was really trying to NOT cry on Monday, but of course once
my principal started giving her farewell speech about the 2 teachers leaving,
and 2 teachers retiring…I started crying.
She told me she was so glad that she hired me and that I did a great
job—even for a Yankee! My first “thanks”
has to go to her for hiring me and giving me a chance. I showed up for an interview the week before
school started 3 years ago and was an hour late for the interview. I left the house with almost 2 hours ahead of
time, because as my Dad taught me, always be early for an interview…well I got
SOOOO lost in the rural land of Louisiana that I almost ended up going
home. This was before I had an iPhone so
all I had was my print out directions from MapQuest and a phone with NO service
in the boonies (Thank you iPhone and AT&T for fixing that). So I finally found the school and at this
point was 1 hour late, had been crying, and was a sweaty mess, but she gave me
a chance and hired me.
I owe a special “thanks” to all of my co-workers. My school
really doesn’t have much teacher turnover and many of the students have
attended there whole life at our school since it’s PreK-12th
grade. Everyone was so welcoming. My friends Robert and Melanie invited me to
sit with them at lunch from the beginning.
Melanie was the other high school English teacher and was/is a huge
mentor to me. Robert became my carpool
buddy and had to suffer listening to me talk-talk-talk for an hour to and from
school (Mason thanks you for that- it lightened his listening load). He also had to hear pregnancy this, pregnancy
too much of that. My friends Barry and
Josh started the same year I did, and we’re all around the same age and have
similar humor so we got along really well.
Barry let me cry in his room for 20 minutes on Monday and had a really
great talk with me.
I feel like anyone I talk to about resigning, I felt like I
owed them an explanation. I felt like to
all my working mommy friends I had to explain that I can afford to be a stay at
home mom, and I want to be home with my baby, and that the AF doesn’t always
make it easy to be a working mom. To my
stay at home mommy friends I felt like they didn’t really understand how I
could love doing anything that wasn’t spending time with my kid. Basically it boils down to- I love teaching,
and I love Theo. I want to be home with
Theo while I can be, and in the next year (at least) managing my work schedule,
Mason’s work schedule, and Theo’s schedule was going to be hectic- so I’ll be
at home- and I don’t think I’ll be bored.
I’m looking forward to it, and I’m looking forward to developing
friendships even further.
I definitely need to “thank” my parents and sister. My mom was always home with me and my sister,
and because of my sister my mom was probably home longer than she would have
been had it just been me. It’s great to
have a model where I know it’s okay to be at home, and I know what kind of
experiences I’ll get to have by being home.
Theo gets a huge “thanks” because he is why I’m a mommy, or
as he says ma-ma-ma.
But truly, Mason has been the one to put up with the tears,
emotions, decision making and all else while we decided this together. He’s been 100% supportive of me. I appreciate his financial skills from the
get-go, because hiss frugalness has allowed us to save 5 years of my paychecks,
and be completely debt free which makes my being home possible. He (obviously) contributed to making me a
mom, and he’s just wonderful. I told him
that my being home will result in fewer chores for him, but he’d like that in
writing.
I’m sure there are many more “thanks” to give, and I thank
everyone who’s helped me be comfortable with this new life choice---we’re all
looking forward to it!
2 comments:
You rock- with all that you've done and Theo will know he has a fabulous mama because of all your hard work! Enjoy your time with him!
Being a stay at home Mom doesn't mean you won't work. Now you get to teach Theo all those wonderful English/Literature things that I really don't understand. Besides, you only have to make you and your family happy.
Post a Comment