Sunday, September 25, 2011

Last Day

Friday was my last day of school before going on maternity leave. Pretty much spent Thursday bawling my eyes out about it and only cried 3 times before school on Friday, and got a little teary eyed leaving my classroom on Friday afternoon. It is hard to explain, and I know that once BK is here I'll be quickly forgetting about school and what's happening there, but for now I feel like I'm leaving my kids behind. I mean...how are they going to survive without me...ha ha!

I'm known at school for being more than a bit organized, some may say anal, which has made the transition a little bit easier for me anyways because I knew coming into the school year I was going to have to prepare for this inevitable transition. I spent my planning time from day one working ahead on lesson plans, agendas, and getting all the copies of assignments, assessments, and projects ready for when I had to hand over my classroom. My goal was to work up until this baby fell out of me, but the last week has been a bit unnerving leaving each day not knowing if I'll be back the next. At least now I know that I won't be back for awhile.

The substitute that is taking over in my classroom is a retired English teacher and principal and frequently subs at our school. The kids are familiar with her, and I know that she'll stay on top of them for getting their work done. We've met almost once a week since early in the school year and finally Friday I passed on the baton. I handed over probably more papers with "instructions," lesson plans until December, and more "stuff" that some random stranger off the street could probably run my classroom.

I'm going to miss the kids surely, and things like homecoming week, red ribbon week, their usual antics, jokes, and more, but I'm really excited for what lies ahead...and hopefully BK will make his or her debut sooner, rather than later so I have less time to sulk about how I am not at school.

No comments: