Sunday, February 6, 2011

Just when I thought you had left me...

...you return, you nasty, evil cold! It seems like our school has had the plague even since coming home from Winter Break (back in January). I was grateful that I was not sick during our awesome 2 week vacation home, but got slammed with a 10 day cold/flu in mid-January. It started with a sore throat and fever and worked it's way into a nasty runny nose and cough. We had almost 1/4 of our school out on a few days as it seemed we all contracted the disease Martin Luther King weekend. Sigh, I felt "lucky" that I got hit with it early on as my students and co-workers were getting hit with it as I was recovering. Many students were diagnosed with the flu and therefore told they could not go to school for 5 days. Missing 5 days of high school- YIKES!

Well, I thought I was in the clear, but last week started to have an occasional sneeze or tingle, and by this weekend realized I was right back in sick land. I don't seem to have a fever this time, but my body is achy all over and my throat feels as though it is going to swell up. Needless to say, last night I didn't sleep at all, and poor Mason was up on and off as well...sorry babe! Fortunately Mason hasn't gotten sick at all yet, but he's had to suffer through my painful nights awake.

Well, enough complaining...besides illness, things are going pretty well in the Kehs household. School has been going pretty well. We've only had one 5 day work week since coming back in January due to MLK day, and 2 weeks with inclement weather days. It seems that Shreveport wanted to keep up with the rest of the nation and have some icy and snow storms. Our family back home would laugh at the minute amount of ice or snow we received, but the fact is the South just isn't able to handle this type of weather. Either way, the extra days off were WELL RECEIVED.

I have been working really hard in my action research masters class- completed a 32 page research paper, which might be my longest to date, and certainly the best quality paper I've written. My professor gave my an A which I am stoked about, but lots of time went into the project. Lately I find myself just wanting to be DONE with this masters. I'm even thinking about doubling up classes the next two terms to finish 18 weeks early...I might be crazy, we'll see what my adviser has to say about it.

Meanwhile, Mason is taking two of his masters classes this term so that he can get ahead in his program so that he can complete it by the end of this year. It's crazy to think that we might both be done with these masters programs by 2011 (and have no debt from them)!! Mason has been working hard with his non-flying job, and has flown a few sorties in the past few weeks. Recently he was offered the "job" of instructing one of the CAP cadets for getting her private pilot's license. Pretty awesome, since this is what he did in college, and the family is going to pay for all of the expenses. It's still in the planning stages, but Mason's flown the little CAP plane twice to get checked out and it's fun to see his excitement come back for the "easy" flying.

We are behind updating pictures on the blog and facebook, but for now a look at the "productiveness" of teen boys in English.

No comments: