Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Happy Birthday Me

Mason's first blog post in probably a year -

And basically I'm just showing off my new lens that Ellen got me for my birthday. For the photo people out there, it's a Canon F/1.4. No crazy effects like the fisheye lens, but its big thing is being able to take pictures in extremely low light (and it also creates a really shallow depth of field).

I'm taking two masters classes this semester/quarter so things haven't gotten any less busy around here. But at least it's not hot outside lately. Perfect 50 degree rainy days (my favorite!).

In buff news, I got to do a bomb bay check last week. Basically, whenever we drop bombs out of the bay (as oppose to off the wings), certain situations come up sometimes where we want to physically look inside the bomb bay to make sure all the bombs came off the jet. So last week when we were dropping some inerts, I volunteered to be the one who crawls back and checks it out. For anyone who's seen Dr. Strangelove, it's just like the part where the guy goes back to figure out why the doors aren't opening and ends up riding the bomb all the way down. It wasn't as crammed as I pictured it, but it's definitely not for anyone who's claustrophobic. And as we hoped, there were no bombs still in the bay when I went back there. No pics, sorry.

In other random news, I finally completed my requirements for the next level in Civil Air Patrol and got promoted to Major! I figure maybe I'll make it a goal to always promote one step ahead in CAP than the AF (I was a Capt in CAP and a 1st Lt in the AF, but now this summer I'll be a Maj in CAP and a Capt in the AF).

Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes. It's the one time of the year where I'm actually on facebook myself rather than just looking over Ellen's shoulder at her iphone.

Here's some photos with the new lens... (i'm still trying to get the hang of such a narrow focus)

2 comments:

Bridge said...

very nice B-day present...I think mine for next year will be a fish eye! Joey would like the one you just got!

Ellen and Mason said...

I've got a Tokina fisheye and it's come in handy for some awesome photos inside the cockpit and with bunches of people together in small rooms