Sunday, December 5, 2010

Live each day as if it were the last

November came and went without a post. I'm behind on my goal to get all of our Japan adventure's posted before 2011. We'll have to see how things go in the next few weeks during the busy holiday season.

I promise an update about us soon, but for now I wanted to talk today's events. A student of mine was killed early this morning in a car accident. The driver of the car was a boy who graduated last year, and I didn't teach him, but I knew who he was and he was a great kid. The passenger of the car was one of my junior students. The driver was speeding, most likely had been drinking and drove off the road and hit a tree. Both were killed immediately.

As I said earlier on facebook, students become like your kids. You have those days where they drive you crazy, and other days you are so proud of them you can't stop bragging on them. I just can't ever imagine what the halls of our school will be like without this student there. He was truly an amazing person. Always the first to crack a joke, make you laugh, and outwit you. As he said, he was truly Big Dawg Status.

His mother is a teacher at our school, and I can't even imagine their loss. I've talked to some of my students today, and other teachers and it just doesn't seem real. I feel sad at the loss, and mad that no matter how many times you say don't drink and drive, people still do. I'm thankful to be at a school where I know we'll all be there for one another, and grateful for friends and family who love me and are there for me.

You'll be missed Evan.

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Ellen, I'm so sorry to hear about this. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your students. You're such a wonderful teacher, and I know you're going to be there for them in exactly the way they need you to be. And be sure to take care of yourself as well. Much love, Brenda & Joe