I'm so ecstatic to be writing this blog post from my computer, in the office, at my new house! Mason and I were able to move in on Thursday- and we LOVE it. I think Mason was tired of me telling him all day how much I appreciate his hard work and that I'm so grateful to him and the military for providing us with such a nice place to live. After finally getting to see our house, and move our stuff in, Minot seems like a distant thought. Moving went VERY smoothly. Many people we know move all there things themselves; after this move, I'll have the military take care of it everytime! The move from Sheppard to Barksdale was so less stressful because we were moving from one place into one place, whereas when we moved to Sheppard my house, Mason's house, and everything wedding were packed into total chaos.
The movers arrived around 9:30 on Thursday morning and finished up around 6pm. It was A LOT of work for two men. We had about 9,200 lbs on the truck that they had to unload. They didn't do too much unpacking; mainly our kitchenware, breakables, and pictures. So far, I've only found one cracked flower vase, and the leg of our dining room table cracked (but it was like that before we moved) so overall we were really satisfied with everything!
Yesterday, I worked in the morning to get the kitchen all set-up. I felt like that was a huge accomplishment. I felt like, if I got the kitchen set-up the rest would be a piece of cake. Mason had to work in the morning as an injured person for an exercise that they were doing on base. When he got home we tackled the bedroom. We had to re-arrange the furniture several times, as I was not happy with the feng shui. We finally got it right, and it was GREAT to be able to sleep in our own bed last night. I worked on unpacking lots of our clothes while Mason set-up the computer desk and computer. We've been avoiding the living room, since we have NO CLUE how to set everything up down there, but, I think that will be a project for today or tomorrow, once we clear up some more boxes.
After a long day of work, Mason and I went our in search of the only Thai place in town for dinner. Unfortunately it was being remodeled or something, so we went to Olive Garden. It was nice to just spend some time sitting down- after all the free time we've had in April, it was strange to have such a burst of activity all at once, that it felt like we hadn't spent much time together with the move in. This morning, Mason headed out on base to some garage sales, but didn't really find anything worthwhile. I went to a job fair at a school in the Caddo School Parish. I'm hoping that I made an impression with some of the people I met, and I hope to get a job for the Fall, so we'll see how that works out. Many of the schools in the district near us are Academically Unacceptable so that means that everyone is fired and has to be rehired, could be good or bad. I also dropped off resumes with schools that were not AU, and I hope to hear back from some of them.
Well, off to finish reading my great mystery book so that I can return it to the library- and then more unpacking.
For some pictures: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2028592&id=77800450&l=a4c8829dde
Saturday, May 2, 2009
Barksdale AFB
Posted by
Ellen
at
12:05:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
So, I have to ask: how is it that we moved 4 people and it was only 8,000 lbs, but you move TWO people and it's 9,200???
Congratulations on the new house and smooth move!
Post a Comment