Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A more positive spin to life

I must admit that lately I've been a bit of a crab...I don't mean to be, but sometimes it's just easier to complain then be positive; at least that was me reasoning. After a while I started thinking that that was a really negative way to think and there was no wonder why I was crabby because I was thinking so poorly. The lightbulb clicked and I though, if I just tried to see the good in each situation then maybe I'd start to feel better- it's been working. So maybe I hit a weight plateau- at least I worked out and can feel good that I am getting healthier. We still have 8 more days in the tiny TLF- at least we have the option to have house that the military takes care of. Mason might be frustrating me because work keeps him busy- I'm married to Mason. I think that if I just try to see the positives, I'll be a much happier person, and then the people around me will be happier too.

Speaking of happy, Mason and I did find out our new address. We are able to move into our new base house next Thursday, the 30th. We'll sign the lease that morning and our things will also arrive that day. So excited! We took a walk to scope out the yard and house the other afternoon, and may have set off an alarm when we opened the unlocked back door- we decided NOT to venture inside since we thought that might be tricky to explain if the base police showed up. We'll just have to wait...We're really blessed to be part of the military community. The fact that we get a house, a big house for two people is amazing. If Mason wasn't in the military there's no way we could afford the same thing elsewhere. While sometimes the long training days are frustrating to both of us, it's humbling to remember that we have what we have because of all the hard work that Mason does serving the military.

We've been weighting the pros and cons of Barksdale vs. Minot. These are the two bases that B-52s are based at. Everyone trains here (what Mason will begin in June) for 8 months and then you either stay here at a permanent squadron for 3-4 years or go to a squadron in Minot for 304 years. This is when Mason's flying/deployments really get going. We get to put down a "wish list" that may or may not be taken into consideration. Some of our friends in Mason's class here REALLY want to stay here; we wouldn't really mind either, but I'm not sure if we are willing to put Minot first, since that would pretty much guarantee that we would go there. I think some of my positives for Barksdale (ex. the green trees, warm weather) are considered a negative for Mason, he would love to go to work and not sweat! I just try to remind him that I would stay in Minot while he deploys to the paradise island of Guam in the South Pacific. Either way, we've got friends that will be in both places, so that will make either move okay.

Yesterday evening I went to the 11th BS (bomb squadron) spouse meeting. Mason is in the 11th BS while training. It was much more formal than the meetings and get togethers at Sheppard. The woman hosting, had fancy food served on crystal plates! I was "hailed" into the squadron, basically welcomed, and given a spouse pin. At Sheppard the spouse meeting was every 6 weeks or so, just before an assignment night and the location changed each time. I get the impression here that it's always at the Commander's house. It's pretty funny, because when Mason sees something that the Air Force does that he thinks is a bad decision, he always says, "When I'm a General..." after last night I now say, "When I'm the Commander's wife in charge of the spouse group..." It was nice to meet new people and get better acquainted with the wives in our class. At Sheppard Mason was in class 09-01 and here at Barksdale he is in class 09-03. Today I'm having lunch with some girlfriends- very happy to have so many friends, I can't even express how much that made the move easier by already knowing people here. I can't imagine moving somewhere like Japan or Italy where you don't know anyone and can't even speak the language.

Mason will post something soon, and next week- pictures of the new house! YAY!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

You always seem very positive in your blog updates. It is an inspiration, thank you.

McKay said...

Way to be positive! There's really no other way! There's always something to complain about, but there's also always something to be thankful for! :-)

Also, I love it! "when I'm a squadron commander's wife..." Me too!!!