Thursday, April 2, 2009

Goodbye Texas, Hello Louisiana

The month of March was busy for Mason and I. Mason was gone at Survival Training until March 14th and I had my last day of school March 13th. We headed off to Chicago on the 16th for a week and a half to visit our family and friends, and just have a little together time before Mason begins training again. When we got home we had to immediately start getting ready for the packers. Many people in the military choose to move themselves, since you can earn quite a bit of money for doing so, but Mason and I decided that the hassle and inevitable arguments were not worth it. We did what's called a partial DITY (do it yourself) move. That basically means that we get paid for the weight we carry in our cars. This worked out really well for us- so far- hopefully nothing will be broken when we unpack. The packers came on Monday and packed our whole house up, and Tuesday the movers came. Overall they were very polite and worked hard. Wednesday we had our final housing inspection and then were off to Louisiana.

Mason and I are very excited to be moving on from Sheppard AFB. We really did enjoy our time in Wichita Falls, but Mason is ready to begin his career flying the B-52. I was sad to leave my class, but I'm sure that I'll be able to find something great in Shreveport. We're both going to miss our very good friends that we've made in Wichita Falls, but we're also lucky that we already know people in Shreveport. Our friends Phil and Nicole who were at Sheppard are here and are great friends. Also, two of the guys from Mason's flight are moving here too, so we're very lucky!

The drive to Shreveport was pretty straightforward, it's about 5.5 hours. We had a good trip, except I blew a tire on the Contour. Mason was driving the Highlander, and I had the Contour. Fortunately, I was able to get the car to a gas station and we had the tire replaced within 45 minutes. Shreveport is so beautiful- I love all the green grass and green trees...such a difference from Texas. Also, the river is actually a substantial sized river. We aren't able to move into our house until April 30th, so until then we will stay in the base lodging. It has a small kitchen and maid service, so it's pretty nice. Mason is in-processing today and we'll go out later to explore more of the base. Pictures will come soon, once we get some taken.

No comments: