Sunday, November 4, 2007

Phase I of UPT COMPLETE

(sorta/almost)

This whole last week was spent bouncing back and forth between the classroom and the computer lab. There's a very structured arrangement of classes (in person and computer-based) that has to be done in a specific order. So this week, we learned every system in the T-37. It wasn't quite the "sucking from a firehose" metaphor that people talk about (I think that comes more this next week). Our academics instructor was really good about breaking things down into pilot terms. And surprisingly, the computer-based training (CBT) was actually pretty well-made (it had lots of animations). We'll have to take the final systems exam tomorrow morning which will be more of the official end to Phase I. It will be the first big exam we've taken since the Aero Phys exams (which I think were pass/fail anyways) so it's important to do well.

Although Phase I is done, we'll still do academics through the first few weeks of Phase II (T-37 flying). That's another thing that differs between ENJJPT and other UPT bases. Most UPT bases spend the first 6 weeks or so solely in academics, but ENJJPT overlaps part of academics with the beginning of the flight line stuff.

Most of academics included a start time around 0800 and an end time around 1400 (sometimes with a one hour break for lunch, sometimes just push straight through). Now that we're in Phase II, we'll be spending 12 hours a day in our flight room. Our class, 0901, is split into D flight and H flight (I'm in Hotel). After our systems test tomorrow, we'll meet our squadron commander (squadron is the next level over flights; all T-37 training here is under the 89th Flying Training Squadron). We'll also get fitted for our parachutes and then do our first link mission (they call the simulators "links", not sure why). Each IP (instructor pilot) has two students assigned to them, although you'll eventually fly with lots of other IPs based on availability and scheduling. So when I go to the sim tomorrow, I'll probably watch my IP and my flight partner fly the mission, then I'll hop in and switch places.

Tuesday, we're scheduled for our dollar ride in the T-37. Dollar ride is the tradition for the first training sortie. The expectations for the student are very low and the student is supposed to give a decorated one dollar bill to the IP afterwards. I'm looking extremely forward to pulling Gs, going faster than 200 kts, crossing 18,000' on the altimeter, and looking up to see the ground. I'm also very nervous though since I can barely remember how the heck to strap into the plane with the helmet, oxygen system, parachute, shoulder harnesses, etc. I also need to practice my anti-G strain maneuver (you tense up your whole body and take very short breaths every 3 seconds).

The whole atmosphere will be a lot different now that we're in our flight rooms because we'll be in there for a long time with our IPs and Flight Commander. There's a lot of stress and until we can pass 3 boldface tests in a row, we have to stay in blues. (Which means that we have to change into our flight suit before flights, and then change again afterwards - BOGUS!!!). We also have to take our PFT (standard Air Force physical fitness test) sometime this week or so. (blegh)

So that's that, big week up next.

Other headlines-
The housing landscapers annihilated our bushes in the front of our house. We didn't think they were the best looking plants around, but they were definitely better than the big stump and empty woodchip area they left us with. Hopefully they do something else to fix it up.

Ellen had her first motorcycle experience this week. We took a slow cruise around the block with her on the back of the seat. She was nervous, but she had the big biker grin by the end. A few of the Italians are getting bikes too so that will be fun when we can all go out for group rides. I think I saw two of them on my ride this evening but they didn't recognize me behind the helmet.

This week's casino earnings - $6.00 (and we've still kept to our rule of not spending any real money, only the free play they give us for military and men's night Sundays)

Rembrant still spazzes out whenever we try to hold him, and he poops a lot more than I ever thought hamsters did.

Handgrips raise, triggers squeeze, it's time for bed!

No comments: