Tonight felt very much like the first day of school for both Mason and I. We packed our bags, laid out our clothes, and packed our lunches for our big days tomorrow. Mason begins pilot training tomorrow and I will begin my first full week of teaching. Last week I had the kids to myself for 2 days, but I am hoping that with Monday will come better attitudes and a calmness...I might just be kidding myself. Mason has to wear his service dress uniform for the first few weeks of training (or at least his blues) so I don't envy that. I love my teaching job where jeans are completely acceptable!
I told Mason that we will probably living like roommates the next 55 weeks, as he trains and I teach, hopefully things will slow down for me as they really begin to pick up for Mason. We had a BBQ at a friends house this past week to meet all the people in Mason's training class. There are 14 Americans and 14 Italians. The Italians are very cool. We discussed how it's hard to find good cooking ingredients, especially cheese in Wichita Falls...they've been trying to make Bachemel sauce, while I still would like to make homemade ravioli. Somehow I think Mac and Cheese will be more frequent on our menu after long days.
Anyways, we're both looking forward to next weekend when we are having the big airshow on base. Since our base is a huge engineering and mechanical base, they are opening an F22 maintenance facility here, which opens on Friday...there should be a F22 here too. We're excited! I'll post pictures of my classroom soon.
Sunday, October 14, 2007
The first day of class
Posted by
Ellen
at
11:20:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Dazzle your Italian friends by telling them that all you need for a Bechamel sauce is flour, butter, milk, and nutmeg, salt and pepper. It is one of the five "mother sauces". If you need a good recipe for homemade mac'n'cheese(super easy and much healthier than the box), lemme know. Guess what it starts with...a bechamel!
More conversation starters...the five "mother sauces" are
1. Béchamel or basic white sauce
2. Velouté or stock based white sauces (chicken, fish, veal)
3. Espagnole or brown sauce
4. Tomato
5. Butter sauces (e.g. Hollandaise sauce or mayonnaise).
Look online for cheese shops like www.igourmet.com...We recommend Parmiggiano Reggiano stravecchio(aged Italian Parmesan from one spot in Italy, aged for 2 or more years; salty, delicious and very good for you, according to Italian scientists) or Pecorino Romano (made of sheep's milk), which Mason's grandparents love. Or just about anything else, Tilamook white cheddar makes delicious mac'n'cheese! You never know what Santa will bring you!
Post a Comment