Thursday, December 31, 2020

Happy Holidays 2020

 

Happy Holidays Loved Ones,

2020.  Wow.  My focus word for this year was “rejoice”, and while this year has had many unexpected moments and taught us that there is a lot in the world outside our control, we can still find opportunities to rejoice and be glad.  There were hard moments for sure, but when I look back over the year, I am thankful for all the wonderful times we have had.  This year we were given an opportunity to build up the relationships within the walls of our home, to slow down, and to stay connected to loved ones even when we couldn’t gather face to face. 

One of my goals for this year was to complete 25 hikes.  We crushed this goal by the end of May.  We used time at home to be outdoors in nature, and that was a saving grace to me this year.  I think our whole family is refreshed by being outdoors and finding the hidden gems around us wherever we move.  While our travel plans were cancelled for the year, we were fortunate enough to travel to Chicago in October for my sister’s wedding.  We can’t wait to hug our family again!    

Mason started off the year continuing his staff job doing nuclear mission planning at Strategic Command HQ here at Offutt Air Force Base.  He worked from home for several weeks and this summer he was at home in a ten week Joint Professional Military Education course.  His small group got a top academic award for a paper they wrote.  This Fall he moved above ground and started working on the Commanders Action Group.  He’s up before the sun working out every day and ran his furthest distance ever this year-16.5 miles.  He’s in the best shape of his life and feeling good.   

I try my best to keep up with everyone in the house.  Between kids who grow overnight and need new wardrobes, a fridge that is constantly being depleted, and laundry baskets that keep filling, I enjoy being home with the kids.  I have taught online for the past six years, but in January, was promoted to a full-time position, teaching English and Social Studies to 6th-12th graders online. I’m continuing to write monthly pieces for Omaha Mom and participate in the Offutt Spouses Club book club, and local MOPS group.  This year Mason and I are leading the Cub Scouts hikes…at last count I was around 55 hikes for the year.  In my evenings I am up late reading away, so far I’m at 127 books for the year!     

Theodore turned nine in September-my baby!  He promoted to Webelos in Cub Scouts, is in swimming lessons, and played tackle football this Fall.  It was really fun to watch the boys get to play sports for the first time, and Theo loved it all!  Theo is still interested in bison, teeny mates, presidents/white house, sports, and Greek mythology.  His favorite thing to eat is hamburgers from Sinful Burger, a local restaurant.  It’s exciting to see what he enjoys.  He is liking third grade a lot this year and has gotten to do some fun projects at school.  

Woodrow turned seven in August and is at a really fun age.  This year Woodrow has been taking swimming lessons, promoted to a Wolf Cub Scout, hiked many miles, and played flag football this Fall.  Woodrow likes to play with legos, play football, play with his teeny mates, and play Madden NFL/Mario Cart on his ipad.  He’s my late-night partner in crime and has recently been enjoying reading chapter books on his own.  Woodrow’s been excelling in second grade and keeps us laughing with his antics.

Maximus turned four in October and is full of personality.  He is super friendly and doesn’t mind chatting with people he just meets.  He’s made a new little friend who lives across the street, and it is fun to see them running around playing.  At the beginning of the year he was in gymnastics classes, but now is only taking swimming lessons.  There is no shelf too high for Max to climb and no treat he can’t find.  He loves to look at books, play with playdoh, snuggle, play at the park, and bake.  Max is also in preschool two mornings a week and has so much fun!    

I really enjoy blogging, but was not great at it during the second-half of 2020…I will try to be better next year and we’d love for you to follow our adventures here:  http://ellenmason.blogspot.com.  The boys also enjoy getting snail mail and emails.  While 2020 had many unexpected moments, our marriage is stronger than ever, our kids our healthy, and our family keeps on adventuring!   

No comments: