These next several posts will probably be all out of order, since I got behind (as usual) and decided to catch-up on the hiking that we did most recently. We've been fortunate with really nice weather lately, but that means more and more people are outside, which makes social distancing difficult. Since we have a pretty flexible schedule these days (har har), I decided maybe we'd try taking 1-2 weekdays to go hiking and then on the weekends we can stay home so we don't see as many people.
Friday (April 10th) we drove about an hour Northwest to Fremont, NE. I'd heart about a trail at the Calvin Crest Camp Conference Center. The location is closed occasional weekends for retreats, but I'd heard the trails were decent, even though they are designed for mountain biking. The website for the camp didn't have any trail maps, and I was able to find an okay map on All Trails. But, we decided we'd check it out anyways.
There's a couple locations near us that are mountain bike trails and they're pretty nice, but it is hard to get a good loop or actual map since the bikers tend to just ride around. The trails at Calvin Crest were marked, but we still ended up wandering into someones private property and eventually looping a long way back. We ended up hiking just over 5 miles.
This place was really nice. Mason felt it was the most heavily forested area we'd been to in Nebraska. I think there was just a pretty good variety, and nice pine areas. I think as more and more trees bud and the leaves return, we'll be reminded even more of how amazing this area is.
Ironically, this marked the day that we purchased our house in Nebraska. One year living the good life. We really love it here. We've visited and lived in so many places that we probably wouldn't have chosen if we weren't living the military life, and Nebraska has been one of the best surprises. We really like it. It's a great balance of city, suburbs, and rural. I'm glad that we'll be here for three years.
Thursday, December 31, 2020
Hiking: Calvin Crest Loop Trail (17)
Posted by
Ellen
at
10:43:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment