Thursday, July 11, 2019

Omaha Moms Blog

I am super excited for a new opportunity that I have here in Omaha, and that will be writing as a contributor for the Omaha City Moms Blog.  I'll likely have around one post a month and I'm happy to have a fun activity for me and a way to meet other local mamas. 

Check out my Intro post here:  https://omaha.citymomsblog.com/contributor/omaha-moms-blog-introducing-ellen/

Last night I got the opportunity to meet some of the other team members for a volunteer event.  We met at The Life House in Omaha, which is a program put together by two sister churches and they offer a food bank and diaper pick-up for qualifying people in their community.  We got to meet one of the staff members, hear about the mission, take a tour of the small building, and then we packaged diapers.

In one hour we packaged 4350 diapers, which looked like a lot, and then we realized that according to her recent statistics, that wouldn't even be enough for one day that they were open.  They are open 3-4 times a month, and families can come once a month.  If they have a WIC or Medicaid card for their child, they are eligible for 60-70 diapers for up to two children under the age of 4.  Last year they gave out over 55,000 diapers and they are on track to double that number this year. 


It was a great opportunity and I enjoyed meeting more moms and hopefully new friends! 

No comments: