Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Theo Turns Five

There were many days leading up to Theo's 5th birthday that I wasn't sure if this kid was going to survive.  I don't think that I was adequately warned/prepared for the attitude and tantrums that were showing their ugly head.  There were several days where we looked at Theo and wondered 'what happened to our child?'  Theo got to have a lot of quiet time in his room and went back to some napping.  But, he's 5 and things have leveled out a bit more, although we're still having some BIG emotions and tantrums that we didn't have before.

5!  I can't really believe that I have a 5 year old since it feels like he was just a little guy.  Sometimes I have a hard time relating to this big kid that wants to be independent and not curl up and snuggle all the time.  Theo is definitely our artistic, free-spirited philosopher child.  If he can be doing any sort of art project, he is.  If he can be "reading" a book, he is.  He's gotten much better about free playing with his legos and he uses his imagination all the time when he's playing.

These days Theo is much more vocal with strangers and will talk to people he's just meeting.  He's gotten better about interacting and playing with his peers, although he definitely loves having Woodrow around as a built in playmate.  Theo likes living in Guam, although he frequently asks when family will be visiting us or when we get to go to their houses.  He's gotten much better about adventuring and LOVES swimming.  He's starting to figure out swimming strokes, but is not what we'd call an independent swimmer yet.  He enjoys his one-on-one time when he gets to go on special outings/hikes with Mason and he's recently gotten much more coordinated with riding his bike.  Hopefully we can ditch the training wheels soon.

If Theo could go to school all day everyday he would, and I sincerely hope this love continues.  It's great to see him so excited about learning.  He works hard to earn a sticker at school every day so he can pick a treasure from the treasure box on Fridays.  He eagerly waits until it's his day to bring snack (once a month).  He loves to make pictures for his teacher.  It's fun to hear him start to talk about friends in his class by their names and not just, "the kid with the Paw Patrol backpack."

Theo is a HUGE helper around the house.  Most of the time he feels great pride in being able to help out and it's been awesome since I've been achy and huge these last few weeks.  Theo's a great big brother, despite the daily arguments with his little brother.  I'm so excited to see him with the new baby in a few weeks.  It will be interesting to see the relationship that they have versus the relationship that he has with Woodrow.

Theo is definitely into Star Wars, Ninja Turtles, and building with legos.  His imagination really soars and while sometimes it's overwhelming to look at all the toys around the house, it's fun to see him play with them and create these little imaginative worlds.  Theo's also our sensitive little guy, so when things don't go his way, it can devastate him.  I have no doubt he's going big places in this world and I pray that Mason and I can help him grow in all the ways he needs.  We love you buddy!  Yay 5!!!
 

No comments: