Saturday, August 13, 2016

Land Down Under Trip: Day 8



Sunday, July 24, 2016
Today I am catching up on the blog from the Interislander Ferry that is taking us from Wellington (the North Island) to Picton (the South Island).  We had to get up by 6:15am (ew!) in order to get up and out of the hotel, fill up the rental car with gas, drop the car at the terminal, check in our luggage, and board the ferry.  Of course we ended up going the wrong way on the highway for a few minutes, which is so frustrating, because of course anytime you want to turn around there is never a place to. 
 
The car drop off is a strange thing.  The ferry allows for cars, but with rentals they prefer/insist that if you are renting from one location and returning to another location that you actually change cars on the different islands.  So, when we get off the ferry we’ll pick-up a different car from Hertz.  Hopefully it all works out well.  The drop off was literally parking the car in a Hertz spot and then we just dropped the car key in a mailbox-type bin…hopefully that was all we needed to do. 
The ferry we are on is quite large, and we scored some nice seats in the lookout lounge.  The Cook Strait is a little wavy this morning and the seas are supposed to be moderate with up to 50 knot winds.  I’m hoping that my body doesn’t feel to sea sick.  I’ve noticed with this pregnancy I’m much more sensitive to motion and we have several different boating adventures scheduled for this part of the trip.  The kiddos have been snacking and playing on their different tech devices, so hopefully the 3.5 hour journey today continues to go smoothly.  Woodrow commented that this is, “the perfect boat.”  And Theo is still convinced this was the big ship that Mason was on earlier this month. 






(So picking this up Monday morning)  The ferry ride.  Oy!  The kiddos were tired from waking up early and the thrill of the ferry was only lasting so long.  This ride was a 3.5 hour ferry ride, and was rough.  Since the kids really hadn’t had any ipad/leappad playing time at all on the trip, even on the long car ride days we let them have their devices while we rode the boat and it was my lifesaver.  Mason spent most of the ride out on the deck of the boat walking around enjoying the sea air and taking photos.  I’m so glad that he got to take the opportunity, and that we’re (I’m) at a point where I can be comfortable with him doing one thing and me doing another on trips.  Unfortunately, once we’d reached the more open waters in the Tasman Sea, the boat felt quite a bit of motion, and I was not feeling good.  Tears streaming, slow breathing, trying all the tricks I’ve learned among the years being a sailors daughter, but after an hour I was going to be sick and Mason was nowhere in sight.  I quickly muttered to Theo to stay put in the chairs, not to move or talk to anyone, and I hurried off with Woodrow to the bathroom, which was fortunately quite close.  I felt a little better after actually physically being sick, but was ready for the ride to be over.  Mason eventually made his way back to us and I passed out for a quick nap.  Once we were closer to the South Island the last 45 minutes were in a sound which had much calmer waters, thank God!  It enabled me to feel much better before getting off the boat in Picton. 
For some reason I had been thinking all along that our drive was going to be 4.5 hours for the day, so we quickly grabbed our luggage and Mason grabbed the rental car.  While reviewing our driving directions I realized we only had a 2 hour drive to Kaikoura which was great!  We kind of zipped through Picton thinking we had to get on our way, but we probably should have grabbed lunch. We end up grazing for breakfast on what we have and then eating a late lunch because there aren’t option everywhere, and then we drive round and round for dinner.  Anyways, the town of Picton is small and a nice ocean town.  Once you get outside the city it is winery after winery for kilometers.  Very fascinating and pretty.  I can only imagine when the trees are fully grown and blossoming.  Right now they look like little twigs in the ground since it’s winter. 
 
As we got closer to Kaikoura we had a beautiful drive along the ocean.  The mountains along our right and ocean to the left made for a pretty drive.  As we were driving along I spotted seals along the rocks, and we were able to find a spot to pull over and take pictures.  There were some other people pulled along the side of the road as well, and the seals were everywhere.  We only walked around for 10-15 minutes and didn’t get to close trying to remember this is their habitat and we don’t want to encourage the kiddos to get too close to wild animals, but it was so cool!  It would have been awesome to see some swimming. 

We headed into the small town centre in search of food since it was after 3:00pm at this point.  We ended up at a café called Allure.  The food wasn’t quite what we were expecting.  We’re simple eaters, I guess.  The kids pancakes were wrapped with banana and peaches and lots of large pieces of bacon.  Mason’s plate was so full of two different types of fries you could barely see the burger which was drenched in aioli (like mayo) which he had requested not to have, and my “bagel with lox and cream cheese” also had tomatoes, lettuce, and aioli…really aioli AND cream cheese AND lox…and the bagel had some funky nut on it…but the service was great and the owner was super friendly and nice to the kiddos, AND my fruit smoothly was large and tasty.   
 
After our linner, we ended up driving down a road we thought was towards our hotel, but ended up taking us to the Kaikoura Peninsula, which ended up being awesome because the view as the fog was rolling in and the sun was setting was STUNNING!  And, there happened to be a seal colony there, so there were many seals lying right there along the boardwalk and next to the beach.  We probably could have touched one-but didn’t.  We hung out there for a bit before we got to chilly and then made our way to our hotel. 

We stayed at the Ocean View Apartments.  Whew!  I could have stayed here the entire trip!  A couple that runs the apartment complex basically has 10 “hotel rooms” that were essentially single house/apartments.  There was a full kitchen, two bedrooms, living room, dining room, washer/dryer, nice bathroom, and fireplace.  It was so cozy!  Sitting by the fireplace was relaxing, even if we spent a lot of evening time doing laundry.  We headed out later in the evening and picked up Chinese and Subway for dinner and enjoyed it back in our apartment.  Another evening enjoyed with a jetspa bath…it seems to be big here, and I could get used to it. 

No comments: