Sunday, September 20, 2015

Canada Trip: Day 7- Banff National Park

Today's adventures led us to the Johnston Canyon to hike the Upper and Lower falls trails.  This was one of the most crowded hikes that we went on.  The trails weren't too rough, with only moderate inclines, but there were many people.  The scenery was pretty and the smell was great-the whole trip smelled like Christmas, really.  This path was a little more developed than most of the others.  The Upper Falls was really pretty and we took a little snack break while we figured out a plan.  Mason could see people along the river bank and was trying to figure out a way to easily access that riverfront.  I didn't really think it would work out well for the kids and I to follow, so we hung out at the top for awhile while Mason climbed down and got some cool photos.  This hike was really great and I would definitely recommend it as a good family hike.  The kids enjoyed dipping their hands in the river before heading on to our next adventure.

We went back to the Cave and Basin but again were too late to check out the cave.  Darn!  We walked along the Discovery Boardwalk and got to check out the Sulfur pots.  The kids enjoyed running along this path and checking out the little ponds.  We hung out in this area for a little while so the kids could just run around and stretch their legs.

I convinced Mason to let us go to the Banff Hot Springs, up near Sulphur Mountain.  I thought that going at dinner time would mean less crowds...wrong! It was pretty crowded.  The kids enjoyed it, and Theo did like that he could touch the bottom for most parts.  The water in the pool was naturally warmed but you couldn't stay in it too long. Mason probably should have won this discussion, but it did work out.

We ended up heading to the town for dinner at a place called Earl's.  It was soooo good.  Woodrow was a little wiggly and fussy at the beginning of the meal, but then he saw a pig statue and he was able to settle down.  It was pretty funny because Woodrow's sign language really busted on our trip.  He does great with animals and he learned the signs for food and drink.  Woodrow thought it was so funny to keep signing pig even when we would tell him "no."  It was like he knew he was fooling us.  Anyways, the kids scarfed down their food and I could have gone for two bowls of their Fettucini Alfredo, it was that good.

Since Theo had really good behavior we told him he could pick a treat from one of the stores we went to.  I grabbed an ice-cream and sweet boy inspected every piece of candy in the store before finally choosing a ring pop.  Mason was still up for walking around a bit, so we went back to our car and he decided to take Theo on a night hike.  We brought some glow stick


s from home and they headed out along the river to Bow Waterfall, while I straightened out the car and Woodrow and I would pick them up at the end.  It was 10pm at this point, but we had a late start to the day.  Mason said he was going to head down the opposite side of the river that we had walked down on the previous day and meet us at the waterfall.  I cleaned up the car and headed to meet him.  Woodrow and I waited for awhile near the waterfall in a really dark parking lot, and he wasn't coming.  I checked the map to make sure that I was in the right place, and then came some glow sticks from the woods...wasn't them. I asked them men hiking if they had seen a man and little boy on the trail and they hadn't.  I was regretting not having cell service to communicate.  I told myself I'd wait until 11pm and then head back along the route to see if I could find them.  Long story short, Mason and Theo were on the OTHER side of the river.  Heh heh.  While Woodrow and I had been waiting they had walked to the waterfall, back to the parking garage, and were heading back to the waterfall.  Fortunately we found them along the side of the road...better communication next time.  :)      

No comments: