The Birth Story
(Please feel free to skip this posting if you don't want to hear all the intimate details of birthing a child. I went back to read about Theo's birth while I was in the hospital, and this is a nice reminder for me, so no hard feelings if you don't want the gushy details- and sorry if it jumps all over the place; it's taken a few weeks to write and I'm a sleep deprived mommy).
This story, is all about this sweet, adorable little guy, Woodrow Allen Kehs born on Monday, August 5, 2013 at 8:55am. He weighed in at 8lbs 9oz. and 20 inches long.
I first have to mention my doctor, Tim Bedell. I would highly recommend him to anyone in Minot. I got lucky to have him for my doctor. Before we moved to Minot, I asked a friend for a recommendation for a gynecologist under the pretense I needed a yearly exam and didn't have time before moving (I hadn't announced I was pregnant yet), but her doctor wasn't taking new patients. In Minot there's one hospital, so you have the option of seeing the different doctors or the midwives. I've heard wonderful things about the midwives, but knowing I'd had a c-section with Theo, I felt I should go with a doctor who'd be able to do a c-section if needed. I scoped the hospital directory (that has pictures) and wanted to get in with Heather Bedell, but she wasn't available for months, so I got in with her husband who turned out to be just who I needed for this pregnancy.
Dr. Bedell was open to discussing all of my different options for delivery methods, trying a vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC) or having a repeat c-section. This experience was very different than with Theo's, because we had several ultrasounds towards the end of my pregnancy with Theo that indicated he was probably going to be a large baby, I had increasing blood pressure, and a few other factors that lead to a c-section after being induced with Theo. It was strange this time around knowing several weeks out that I'd be having a repeat c-section on a certain day. I really struggled with knowing if that was the right decision for me. I don't really know how my body would naturally go into labor, and part of me wanted to find out. Closer and closer to the date, I still discussed having a VBAC with Dr. Bedell, and left it as an option, but I knew I did not want an emergency c-section under any circumstance. We set the repeat c-section date for when I'd be 39 weeks and 2 days along, so I decided that if BK2 was meant to come by natural methods, then we'd go that route, otherwise I'd keep my c-section date.
Another "strange" feeling was that with Theo, I was being checked weekly so I knew that I wasn't progressing much. Dr. Bedell was all for checking if I wanted him too, but overall felt it could just disturb things that didn't need to be disturbed, since I wasn't having any complications. Ironically enough, I saw this man for 80% of my pregnancy and the only time he saw anything below the belt was for my Group-B strep test which was a quick 2 second swab at 36 weeks. So, when deciding/contemplating a VBAC, I didn't really have any idea if I was progressing at all in that area and was moments away from having a baby...but I don't think so, there weren't really any signs that I was moving close to labor. So, August 5th it was.
My mom arrived on Saturday night which was a welcomed relief. Goal #1 was to keep the baby inside until Mason arrived home from Alabama on July 24th, and Goal #2 was to keep the baby inside until my mom arrived on the 3rd. Yay baby! There were a few times in the weeks prior where I felt like I was having contractions and I was a little concerned I'd be birthing a child with Theo as my coach. But everything worked out well. Mason and I showed up at the hospital at 6am Monday morning and there was a line! I was feeling a little nervous because I read my admissions packet a little more thoroughly the night before and realized I hadn't made a pre-surgical appointment, so I was concerned all my admissions paperwork wasn't going to be completed which could cause a delay, but everything was in the computer system and after waiting for our turn we were all checked in and headed to the labor and delivery floor. The hospital is nice because labor and delivery is the entire third floor, so there wasn't much of a chance for getting lost, and I'd gone on the tour.
Once we got that worked out we had to wait for the lab tech to come draw viles of blood to make sure everything looked normal before surgery. I could tell we were already running a little behind (and it was going to be a shift change at 7am) due to the wait at admissions and the patient mix-up. The phlebotomist took her time getting to the room, and then (no surprise) had a hard time drawing the blood. It wasn't helping she kept whispering (not so quietly) that she just couldn't get any blood, and what bad arms I had, and why wasn't it working. She got a few drops in a few of the viles, but it looked like she was going to give up, and there was no other phlebotomist on duty at the time, but the nurses came in and basically told her to draw the blood because I needed to get down to surgery. It was almost 7:30am at this point, and surgery was scheduled for 8am. Outside our door, there was basically some whispered yelling from more nurses and I think eventually Dr. Bedell, and after much poking around the chick finally got some blood out of my arms...I still look like I got ran over by a semi-truck, but I guess she got her blood.
Next came in a clumsy nurse from the surgical floor, who kept banging the wheelchair into different things in the room. I was getting a little more nervous because this was about the time where Mason and I would have to be separated. I'm not a huge fan of anything medical related, but going down to have surgery, I really wanted my husband by my side at the whole time, but it's "hospital policy." I got to go for my wheelchair ride, in a very cute, open backed hospital gown, with IV pole down to the first floor operating room. As a side note, the elevator happened to not be lined up with the floor when it opened which mean this nurse was banging the chair (with me in it) on this ledge which just wasn't working. I finally got out and we made it over this hump, good thing there wasn't anyone else around...
We headed into the next waiting area, where they moved me to a bed that would be taken into surgery. I was laid back, and more monitors were hooked up. I could tell there was an anxiety of sorts in the room, because it was basically 8am already and we still had to wait on all the lab results. The nurses kept refreshing the computer monitors, but it was taking awhile. Several of the anesthesiologists came in and introduced themselves and explained how the spinal block would work. This made me feel slightly better, but I was also just ready to see Mason again. Everyone was very friendly and were excited to hear we didn't know the gender, and weren't 100% sure on a name for this little baby. Finally the lab work came back and I was quickly wheeled into a FREEZING operating room. The nurses put warm blankets on me, because it was so chilly.
There was a slight rush to get things going because we were already delayed. Basically at this point I was even more nervous about the spinal block, but I remembered it wasn't a big deal from Theo's birth. I wish I couldn't hear the anesthesiologists talk. As soon as they started talking about how the space between my vertebra was small and possibly going to be difficult, I felt clammy. I don't want to know these things...just get it done. Basically it took two attempts to insert the needle and get the spinal done. I was crying for about the second half of the procedure- which wasn't that long, but I think by this time I just really wished Mason was there for me to lean on, instead of this poor woman left to wipe my tears. They were all very kind and gentle but it did hurt a little too. Finally I was scooted over to the operating table and all the drapes were placed, my fancy hair net put on, and they began testing for numbness and catheter was hooked up ( the nurse even said, wow, you had a full bladder- again, pee if you can before they hook ya up!)
With the spinal I was able to feel my arms and upper chest the entire time which was really nice, because with Theo's birth I was not. It was a very bad feeling, especially when they gave me Theo to hold and I had to ask Mason to stand right next to me, because I was afraid my numb arms would drop him. The tested my hand and different spots on my stomach with a cool pad to see how the numbness was going, and quickly I was numbed. Again, with Theo I had been given a few doses of the epidural and by delivery time, felt NOTHING and I was also throwing up the entire time. This time, while I didn't feel any pain or sharp poking I could feel that I was being touched. I didn't like that. I had read that during c-sections people would feel tugging, but since I hadn't felt that with Theo, I wasn't expecting it this time. It just about sent me over the edge. I was crying a little while everything was being set-up, just because it was overwhelming, and it's an emotional time. The anestegiologist by my head kept asking if I was feeling pain- I wasn't- but I felt every little tug, pull, and motion of the surgery.
Mason was rushed in right before Dr. Bedell started cutting, and by the time he got there I was BAWLING. Like, ugly cry, snot dripping, bawling. I can't imagine what he must have been thinking. People kept asking if I was okay, and I would start to calm down and then just start crying more. It was so quiet in the room, and I just keep thinking about each tug and pull. In my head I was screaming for Mason to just start talking to me about work and flying, but I couldn't bring the words out of my mouth, I was hoping someone would just start talking about something! The surgery felt long...but really it was about 15-20 minutes from the time Mason came in until the baby was out (I think).
Finally this little baby was pulled out, and Mason said, "I think it's another boy." They announced it was a little boy, and I heard the crying- something I don't remember with Theo. It was such a cute little cry, and sounded just like Theo's cry now. Mason got to snap some pictures and then he walked over where they were checking on the baby. I promptly threw-up, and then Mason got to carry Woodrow over to me. I just remember looking at him, and saying that he was so tiny and small. His little head next to mine seemed so itty bitty. Mason kissed my head, and held the baby by me while they started to stitch me up, and the nurse took a few photos for us. Then Mason and the baby had to head up to the labor and delivery floor while I finished the surgery. Fortunately at this point, there was a lot more talking going on, and so I was able to listen to conversations and fee relaxed and think about my two boys while being stitched up, because the anticipation was (mostly) over, although we still hadn't officially said his name would be Woodrow.
We ended up staying in the hospital until Thursday morning, and by then we were ready to go, although it's still amazing they let you take such a tiny little person home. I felt more confident this time around than with Theo, about everything in general, but babies are still really small and fragile. My mom was able to bring Theo everyday to the hospital, and everyday he got more and more comfortable with the fact that this baby was now out of mommy's tummy. Mason would take Theo on walks or out to get food and my mom would stay and visit, so that was good for all of us. Theo wasn't too keen on hanging out in the hospital room, especially since he wasn't allowed to squish the baby or jump on mommy. He did like getting to eat special snacks and play on the ipad, and on the second or third day, I gave him a new Henry train for his train set, and he LOVED IT!!!
That first night I was able to get out of the hospital bed, and walk around the room and sit in a different chair, which was great, because even though I was sore, I needed to move, which didn't happen after Theo was born. I was able to have my catheter removed the second day and eventually shower which was AMAZING!!! The whole experience, I just felt so much better. The second day I was in significantly more pain, and definitely took the pain medications as offered, but I was moving, able to get some sleep, and eating regular food in addition to my exciting jello and chicken broth. I actually didn't mind all of the hospital food, and actually found their breakfast food pretty good.
On the second day, I had a MAJOR meltdown about breastfeeding. It's hard and painful, and not super natural. The nurses were really nice about helping me. They helped a lot- almost with every feeding at all times of the day. I'm sure they were sick of it, but I really wanted to get a decent foundation for it. My friends were also super supportive and helpful via texting. But I again had a HUGE BAWLING fit. Mason was really patient and kind to me. He rubbed my back, and said just what I needed to hear, as I was crying out that my one job-to feed this child- I was failing at. It's really difficult, but he was an amazing support, and I just kept at it.
Having a baby is hard work, no matter how they come into the world. It's been an emotional time, and a definite balance trying to figure out life as a family of four. My mom was here until yesterday, and it was so hard to say goodbye, but at the same time, I guess we had to try this family thing out by ourselves, and so far, we're all still alive and well.




No comments:
Post a Comment