Saturday, May 11, 2013

Theo at 19 months

A delayed post, only because Spring has finally bloomed in Minot- so we've been busy playing outside!  That and I have become slightly addicted to playing that stupid Candy Crush game during nap time. 

This month was a HUGE developmental month for Theo.  He is changing like crazy- and it's SO AMAZING to witness.  I feel like (most days) I fall more and more in love with him, and value what a miracle of a little boy he is. 

Height:  35 inches 
Weight:  24.2. lbs

Physical Changes:  
Theo is getting leaner and developing more little boy, and less baby features.  He definitely looks older when Mason gives him hair cuts.  He has to have hair cuts somewhat frequently because his hair grows fast and then Mason thinks he looks like a rag-a-muffin.  He's tall and skinny.  His 12 month pants fit nicely in the waist, but are high waters, and his 18 month pants fit well in the leg, but slide off his little butt.  Some days we just have to laugh because he'll be in clothes too small, or too big, and he looks comical.  I had to buy him a few summer 18 month clothes, because we didn't have many shorts/t-shirts in that size.  Thanks to a friend with two boys at Barksdale and clothes we got when Theo was little, he should be all set with clothes once he reaches 24mo/2T size.  Naps fluctuate between 1-3 hours and he sleeps about 11 hours at night. 

Big Milestones/Memorable Events:

* Theo had his first (non-birth) hospital visit.  He had a febrile seizure at the beginning of his 19 month.  He was fine afterwards and we haven't had any problems since.  He did have one low fever a few weeks after the incident so we gave him medicine right away and it didn't develop into anything more.  I don't really like feeling like now I jump to medicine immediately, but that makes me feel better than the idea of having to see my sweet little boy have another awful seizure. 

*  Theo moved up to a big boy bed!  Hand designed and built by Daddy!  He LOVES it so much.  So far, he hasn't really realized/successfully been able to get out of the bed, although I'm sure he can, but we're not encouraging it.  We'd like him to stay in the bed as long as possible.  He doesn't stay asleep quite as long in the mornings, or I hear him earlier since he likes to bang on the wood pieces.  We're working on teaching him to NOT bang and climb on the shelf part of his bed...but he is a boy!

*  No more breast milk!  Besides the switch to the bed, this was a big change I was dreading.  I pumped for 10 months, and the frozen breast milk (almost 7000 oz) lasted us 9 months.  We did end up throwing a little away since it just didn't seem good anymore and I donated a few hundred ounces before leaving Shreveport.  Theo did the switch very easily to whole milk.  We started by mixing it, with the breast milk, but quickly were able to give him sippy cups with 100% whole milk.  He's also drinking more "juice" these days (about 5% juice, 95% water).    

*Can climb up into the chairs and sit in them, although he still eats his meals in the attachable high chair.

 




Favorite Things:

I was able to get us enrolled in Aqua Tots swimming classes on the base, so for a month now we've been going to 20 minute classes, twice a week.  I was really happy to get in the class, because the base gym only has open swim on Saturdays from 12-4, which isn't the most convenient time with lunch/nap, but Theo loves the water.  The class has been very repetitive, but I've actually seen a big improvement in Theo's skills.  He doesn't quite blow bubbles yet, but he'll put his mouth in the water when you ask him to try.  He will dunk under the water, reach his arms out towards toys, "dip" his face in the water, and he does pretty well doing an assisted back float.

Theo is really into letters.  For some reason, he picked up really quickly on the letter "O" and "I".  Everywhere we go he is pointing out all of the "O"s.  It's cute, but we're ready to introduce/have him learn some new ones.  I put out magnetic letters for him to play with, which he enjoys and it allows us to have an "open conversation" about letters.  I also write letters for him on the dry erase board, we shape them out of pipe cleaners, and we play with his little letter factory that a friend gave us.  He also picks up the letter of the day from Sesame Street.     

Sesame Street is his FAVORITE!  I kept buying him these little two-figurine packs they had at the BX, until I had bought all 4 packs.  I also got him a stuffed Ernie and Cookie Monster.  He has some Sesame Street books, and he watches the show most days, and knows all of their names.  He also has a Sesame Street place mat (94 cents) that he loves to tote around and tell us all about the characters.  Mason says I'm cut off from bringing anything more into the house- but I'm a sucker for Theo's cuteness!  Now instead of just watching the show on TV, Theo will really interact, and can name the characters on the show.  It's pretty adorable to hear him talk about all of the guys (Ernie, Cookie, Ockey, "Ita" etc...) 


The slides have finally appeared on base and Theo likes when we take him to the park. The park down the street from us has a great slide with a long lip, so Theo discovered the fun of going down on his tummy, hands first.  Before this he always went feet first on his tummy (backwards), so he liked whizzing out, but not falling on to the ground.   have The new play area opened on base, and Theo has enjoyed play dates there. He was quick to try the slide, which doesn't have a long lip at the bottom, so unfortunately his first time down, he slid right off and scratched his chin and got a bloody lip.  He's been a little hesitant of the slides since, but we're working on getting him back up there.  In the meantime, he enjoys climbing really high.  

Lastly, the kid is addicted to the iPad.  We limit his time and he only gets to play on it a few times a week, because he will throw a fit when time is up.  He's pretty good at finding his folder and games, and swiping and playing to get what he wants.  It's pretty fun to watch his little brain get so involved in the games and books he plays with on the iPad.  But never fear, we are still reading LOTS of books- he's enjoying Barney, Corduroy, and Waldo books these days- among the many others on our shelves! 

Chatty Cathy:
I finally decided to make a list of some of the words Theo knows, and I was surprised to see he will say about  70 words if you ask him "what's that"...etc....I didn't include the words that he'll say just by repeating them.  It is pretty funny to hear him say some of the new words (Christmas Tree, exercise).  He's really doing well, and I'm sure there are many I didn't think of. 



Mama      Ma (gram)     Daddy     Baby     Grandpa     Santa
Hat     Eye     Nose     Mouth     Head     Ear     Sock     Pant     Shoe
Roomba
No     Uh-oh    Bye-Bye     Woah     Poo
Night-Night     Oh-no     Empty     All Gone     Open     Close     In     On     Off
Apple     Banana     Cracker     Fruit     pizza     Noodles     macaroni     Cheese 
doggy     Elephant     Zebra     Woof-woof     Quack-quack     Moo      Baa     Meow
Ah Ah (monkey sound)     Itsy Bitsy (spider)     bunny     Moose     deer
Broken     Money     Trash     bath/bathtime     Up     Block     Book
 Ernie    Elmo     Abby     Rosita     Oscar     Cookie (monster and food)     Count
 “I”     “O”     “E"     “A”     “T”

 

No comments: