I love where I work, and I love our school calendar; okay, maybe I wasn't saying that on August 1st when we were headed back to school, BUT, we are on our week long winter vacation right now and it's awesome! Theo and I are getting to spend the whole week together, and Mason even had Monday off for President's Day. I love these vacations because I don't feel rushed to do anything. Normally I feel like I have to pack so much into the weekends, but now I just get to take my time through the week and do so necessity items and some things I just enjoy doing. I feel compelled to add that it is February 22nd and it's 77 degrees out today, so that helps the mood and activities.
This week we've already watched our neighbors children in the morning, taken one of my students and his family on a tour of a B-52. Theo and I played with friends outside yesterday, made cookies, and banana bread, and then played with friends at the local duck pond in the afternoon. I'm beginning to realize that my closet probably isn't going to get cleaned out this week. This afternoon we're headed out for frozen yogurt with our neighbors, but this morning I did one of my favorite things with Theo- go to the commissary.
I love to grocery shop- when the conditions are right. I need a well planned out list, today after making the menu for the next two weeks and making a shopping list, I went back and wrote the list in the order of the store so that I would be more efficient- this was a good idea, and I only take the time to do it when I'm not rushing to grocery shop and fight the weekend crowds. But we headed out about noon, so I figured most moms would be home for lunchtime (which they were). It was me, Theo, and the retirees. Now, normally the retirees are somewhat of a hassle to shop around because they are slower and aren't very aware of where they place their carts- but again, Theo and I were in no rush, so we didn't mind the slower stroll through the commissary.
Theo and I make quite the pair if I do say so. He really does well in the carrier that I have and he likes to fact outwards now. I gave him some toy rings to hold on to, and he held them for a little while before he decided helping to hold the grocery list was more for him. We got lots of smiles from the women passing us by, and one lady even laughed and commented how I was narrating the entire trip. She said I was doing well incorporating counting at the store (1 onion, 2 apples, 4 bananas, 3 lbs. of red potatoes)...so we keep going and get lots of comments about how good he is, how sweet he his, oh my, all that hair! (Okay I love all the comments-if you couldn't tell). Then we met up with this elderly couple in one of the aisles and pretty much kept meeting up the rest of the trip. They were so sweet. The old man kept talking about his grown children, and how once you have your own children the world isn't the same. Well, Theo fell asleep around the milk/frozen section so I switched him around so he was leaning against me and not over the edge of the carrier. He was all cozzied up and snoozing away, and the comments kept on coming. He woke up about the time I was emptying the basket at the checkout and was tossing him all about. He really is just well behaved and a sweet boy. And I LOVE my time with him. Especially just when we have those times together where he's behaving so well (which is almost always). I'm looking forward to many more of these days to come in the near future.
(I felt compelled to add that the Sheppard's Pie came out decently and that I'm finally getting to go out with a friend today for that frozen yogurt.)
Wednesday, February 22, 2012
My little shopping buddy
Posted by
Ellen
at
2:49:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment