Wednesday, March 9, 2011

On naming the child: Part 2

If you read the last post about funny baby related stories, you would see that my students are calling the baby Leroy, and my principal started calling the baby Bubba which has apparently spread to my sister and mom. I'm not sure what it's saying if they like Bubba more than Leroy...oh well

A conversation with a student last week while I was heating up my lunch, and she was eating in my room with a few other students:

K: Mrs. Kehs, what are you naming the baby?
Me: Secret...
(Silence, the kids go back to talking when a light goes off in my head)
Me: Wait, the baby's name isn't going to be Secret, I meant we aren't telling the name, it will be a secret
K: Ohhhh, what's wrong with Secret?
Me: I'm not black K....
(I can only way this to her because she's black and she calls me her white mamma, so we have a black-white relationship, not really explainable)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
With Mason tonight before he was going to sleep for a flight:
Me: So, I put up the new ultrasound picture in my classroom, and the kids say the baby looks like a dinosaur, a T-Rex. Sigh :/
Mason: Dinosaurs are cute...we could call the baby Rex
Me: Um, no
Mason: Even better, what about Tyrex?
Me: Goodnight Mason....

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I love your stories. Also, the above reminds me why Todd was allowed to name the pets but not our children. I am glad the pregnancy is going well. I look forward to hearing the real name when the times comes.

McKay said...

Conrgatulations! My brother and sil called their baby T-Rex until she was born. It was cute.